The Poupées

I was awoken the next morning when Piper shook me awake. She helped me dress, motioning for me to keep my hands raised above my head as she encased my body in many layers. After the bodice of my dress was tightened, she brushed my hair. My hair was curly and thick and prone to being unruly, so I envied the sleekness of Piper's hair, though she lavished my mane with compliments.
"Breakfast is downstairs," she said. "It's usually lighter than dinner or lunch. There is nothing important going on today that I know of. If you want, I can get you set up with a loom to pass time, but I'm sure you'll make plenty of friends at court."
I wasn't completely sure if I believed her, but her words were like warm honey and I nodded in agreement.
"I'll make your bed and tidy up your room, milady," she said.
"You don't want to eat breakfast with me?" I asked.
She shook her head and said, "I'll do that another time. I am quite busy today."
I shrugged and clambered down the stairs and towards the dining hall. I got lost in the long corridors and at one point, I bumped into someone. I looked up to see the green-eyed prince and I felt my chest tighten as his face was swallowed up by a smile.
"What's a fair maiden like you doing near my chambers?" he asked. "I hope you're not here for a tryst with your lover."
"I'm lost," I snapped, irritated at myself. "I'm trying to go down for breakfast."
The prince told me the instructions and I brusquely thanked him. I walked away quickly, but my heart kept pounding. I told myself it was only because he had angered me, but the memory of his warm gaze and probing words made me flush like the dawn sky.
    When I arrived at the dining hall, I scanned the room for Reyna and Nico. I made my way towards them, but I was stopped by a voice.
     "Come sit with us."
     I looked at the speaker. It was Drew, her white teeth flashing against her warm skin. I looked at Reyna and Nico who looked at me as if I had been swallowed by a whale, but I found myself sitting opposite of Drew and beside Silena.
      "So you're new to court?" Drew said in a sweet voice.
     I nodded and spooned some oatmeal made with almond milk and fresh berries into a bowl. Almond milk was a luxury my father only afforded us when we were sick, but I loved its sweet and nutty flavor.
     "You're really beautiful," Drew said.
       "Oh thank you," I said, surprised.
         "So you agree?" Drew pressed. "You think you're really beautiful?"
       "I—uh," I stammered. "I'm not sure."
         The chatter quieted down as we enjoyed our breakfast.
        "So where are you from?" Nancy asked.
         "I'm from the countryside," I said.
          "If you're from the countryside, why aren't you a peasant?" Silena asked.
            "Silena, you can't just ask people why they're not peasants," Drew said.
      She turned to me.
       "So what made you come to court?" she asked.
        "My stepmother and father wanted me to," I said, carefully omitting the fact that they wished me to find a husband.
      "Annabeth, we don't do this often, but I think we'll let you join our friend group," Drew said.
      "We have rules though," Nancy warned me. "You have to dress well and you cannot wear the same hairstyle two days in a row."
       "And on Wednesdays we wear pink!" Silena squealed.
    I smiled at her. She was as clever as a baby mouse and she seemed just as sweet.
     "So what do you think?" Drew asked.
       "That sounds great," I said. "We will become great friends."