Chapter 8

Nikolas’ (POV):

That damn bite took a lot longer to heal than I thought. The toxins that Callias not to kindly emitted through me hurt. Fucking flipping shit, I winced when I stretched the muscles in my neck, as I gazed out into the night. It still hurt even in my human form, I’m surprised that Callias didn’t freaking kill me back there, I thought that he would.

If I were him, I wouldn’t have given death a second thought. 

I shivered at the thought but it soon melted away when I thought about Lukas.

Lukas, is my mate.  

I knew that he was my mate since he was a little pup, nobody knew about this before, hell not even Logan. But he suspected it.  Lukas, was too young to know that i’m his mate, still is. He wasn’t sixteen yet, he was only fifteen. But it was hard not to keep my paws off of him, he was too darn cute for his own good. A smirk touched my lips faintly at the thought, and I regretted it when my pants began to tighten.  

I bit back a curse that threatened to tore through my lips, and shifted into my wolf for a run.  It was hard being around Lukas without trying to pounce at him. It was the hardest thing in the world for me. No pun intended. Everytime he would bite his bottom lip, or laugh, and even smile it would make my wolf stir just thinking about him.

I ran faster, and pushed my legs through the grassy fields the more I thought about him. And the more I did, the more my wolf grew restless. I had to keep my distance, because I didn’t want to do something that we would both end up regretting. My heart panged at the thought, but I brushed it off when I glanced up at the bright blue moon, surrounded by a bed of stars.

I huffed and puffed and pushed my wolf through the thinning forest, and past the towering bushes. Some of the branches threatened to scrape at my fur but I jumped over and under them to avoid it. And Just when I thought I was deep in the woods, I sighed when I found a river bend and trudged to it on all fours.

I always came here when I needed to be alone with my wolf. The night was deathly silent, as the birds croaked angrily as they flew by me. The winds rustled the trees, and brushed past my fur. My wolf sighed and whimpered when it collapsed onto the grassland with a thud.

I let my head fall and rest on my paws, and I whimpered again when I felt an ache tug at my heartstring. My wolf wanted to be with his mate. My wolf wanted to claim what was his. But...I couldn’t let him do that. Lukas was so young, and he was too important for me. I couldn’t let myself give in to my wolf so easily, a frown touched my lips at the thought.

I would do anything to keep Lukas safe, even if it meant keeping him from me or my wolf. My wolf jumped a little when I heard a sharp bang pierce the air, and my ears twitched a little when the birds flew out of their trees. Something is coming. I frowned even deeper when I heard that same bang and a couple of hoots and hollers coming from the forest. My snout twitched a little when I let it lead me down deeper into the woods.

“You did it again!” The hunters.  My blood ran cold as my breathing started picking up, but I had to keep my wolf down and hidden away in the shadows of the bushes. Even the trees were on my side.

My wolf was on high alert, and all my senses heightened when my ears kept twitching. I spotted a fire coming from the bonfire a few feet ahead of me, and my heart froze. The hunters. I crouched down even further and hid myself underneath a bush. They were in a group, most of them dressed in black from head to toe as they surrounded a large flame in a pit.

These guys must have been the hunters that terrorized the neighboring packs, my wolf eyes narrowed when they hollered again. The lot of these guys were drunk. Empty, and shattered beer bottles were sported over the grass and I had to make sure that my paw wouldn’t step on one of the shattered pieces of glass.