Roadblock

"Mary." A voice said. Jumping, the young Empress came out of her reverie and looked to her familiar intruder. It was the young Baron, Sebastian de Portiers, the husband of one of her best friends and her half brother in law. Over his two week visit in Scotland -King and half brother in towe- the duo had yet to have more than a civilised conversation not about politics. Mary missed the companionship of the young Baron more than she though. Forcing a smile, the so tired Empress slowly waved a hand at him, beckoning him to enter the royal chambers.

It had been many days since her and Francis' late night conversation, with little output after the fact. He had retired from Edinburgh and went over to Dunbar, giving both some much needed space. They still played their parts well, they had little option, but it wasn't the same. The very alive King returned for Scottish court in the mornings, danced with his Empress and heir in the evenings and played the part of the King and husband well, but it was nothing in comparison to what they had both had just a few years ago. How long ago it seemed.

"Sebastian," Mary cleared her throat, sitting up from her un-Queenly slouch and sitting up straight, quickly starting to fix her hair and skirts. Once proper, she spoke again. "lease, come in." Mary said. Obeying, he walked over towards his young half sister in law, stopping a few feet away to bow, accepting a seat near her upon her nod. "To what do I owe this rare pleasure?" Mary asked. It had been a long time since they had spoken properly, almost a year, to be exact. A few French political conversations here and there, each one never lasting the length of a dance, but never more. Which, Mary suspected -hoped?- would be the outcome of this conversation.

"I've just gotten back from my brother." Bash revealed.

"Oh?"

"Yes. You are aware he resides in Dunbar? For the time being, at least."

"Yes."

"What do you plan to do of it?" Bash asked.

"Excuse me?"

"How will you rectify it? Francis has no idea how to, it is up to you."

"I don't have to do anything, Sebastian. This is his mistake, he must rectify." Mary replied, voice testier than usual, but not holding it's usual spark and fire.

"I cannot disagree," Bash agreed, leaning back into the chair. "but, he is a fish. You must give him the line to get what you both want. You cannot honestly tell me you wish to wallow in misery for the rest of your life?" Bash asked. "No. I know you. You wish to live happily, with a family of your own. This isn't it." Bash paused, letting his words sink in. "I can see how this is effecting you, how it hurts. You must relieve yourself of this pain, it is the only way for you to think with a clear head."

"I cannot. His actions, his foolishness, have ruined us."

"They don't have to, Mary." he paused again. "You must remember that he didn't want to hurt you. All of this wasn't set out to hurt you. He didn't lay with your Lady to actively hurt you. He didn't run away to hurt you."

"But he did."

"He did. And now, you must be the better person than he and Lola. You must be strong. And forgive, before this ruins you and changes you into something you cannot turn back from." Bash replied.

"So, I am supposed to just forget all this pain and anger and betrayal and jump into his arms as if nothing has happened? Push my pain and hurt aside until it consumes me. Come on, Sebastian," Mary angrily chuckled. "you know as well as anybody that that isn't how this world works. No matter how some may portray it to be otherwise." Mary finished.

"How do you know you are destined for pain if you let him in? You may completely turn him from you if you continue this, Mary. If he ever gives up on you, which he won't, then he will resent Jean and Lola and eventually, you. Both your hearts will be broken and it will be your fault. If you let him in, even just a little bit, you may get your only chance of true, unbridled happiness back." Bash finished.