Three Words || Nicholas Scratch

requested by GEORGESMITHS

i'm sooo sorry this took a while but i hope you enjoy!

_____ ♔_____

"We can't just leave school, Nick!"

Glancing back at the Academy of Unseen Arts that she was being dragged away from, Y/N bit her bottom lip. Her heart was racing in a mixture of anxiety and excitement, part of her uncomfortable with the idea of ditching school while the other part was enjoying her and Nicholas' easy escape after such a tedious day that was yet to end. Her boyfriend's hand was clasped onto hers as he continued to pull her away from the large school.

"Nick, where are we going?" Having given up at trying to convince her boyfriend to let them just get back to their classes, Y/N sighed in defeat.

"You're having a bad day... so I just thought that maybe I'd take you somewhere special to get your mind off everything that's upsetting you," Nicholas declared, the pace of his walk slowing down. When his eyes landed on her's, a thousand feelings fluttered through her chest, momentarily distracting her from anything else.

"That's sweet, Nick, but our teachers will notice we're gone."

"You're saying you'd rather stay stuck in another class with Prudence, who let's not forget is the reason you're so upset just so Professor Chadwick doesn't give you a thirty-second lecture?" Nick raised an eyebrow. "Besides, Prudence is going to spend the entire class showing off; Professor Chadwick's not even going to realize you're gone," he reasoned nonchalantly, and Y/N chuckled lightly in response, knowing that Nick was right.

Her silence was taken as approval for Nick to pick her hand up again. Giving her hand that was so much smaller than his a reassuring squeeze, he continued to lead her to wherever it was he planned to take them to. They carried on their walk in peaceful silence, going through the woods with only a few words being exchanged between them.

Though the stroll had been calm and enjoyable, the stillness of the environment had given Y/N the opportunity to let the stress about leaving school and the troubled thoughts about everything that had gone wrong at school today make their way to the front of her mind. So Y/N was relieved when the saunter came to an end and the pair found their way out of the crowd of trees and mud.

Too focused on brushing off the few bits of dirt that had landed on her plaid skirt and purple top to take in the scenery that the warlock had brought her too. When she lifted her head and diverted her attention to straight ahead, Y/N found her lips parting and curling upward into a small smile, eyes lighting up at the sight of Sweetwater river, but mostly because of the blue picnic mat and the woven basket that sat on the shore.

"You like it?" Nick wrapped his arm around his girlfriend's neck. "I set it up during my free period this morning."

Y/N turned away from the sweet picnic that her boyfriend had planned to Nick himself, nodding as her smile grew.

"Come on," Nick motioned for Y/N to follow him to the neatly set up picnic. "We have half an hour before we have to get back so let's make the best of this."

Nicholas leaned against a tree, Y/N beside him in a half-lying position pressed into his side with her boyfriend's arm wrapped around her shoulders. With her worries pushed to the back of her mind, she smiled contentedly. The only thing present in her head was how grateful she was for her kind boyfriend.

"You did all of this just because I was having a bad day?" Y/N pursed her lips, eyes shyly focused on the lock of her hair that she was playing with.

"Yeah." She could feel Nick shrugging. "And because there's something I've been wanting to say for a really, really long time..." he trailed, almost sounding nervous which was odd coming from Nicholas Scratch who was known for his confidence.

Y/N remained quiet, not thinking much of Nick's evidently anxious tone. Too comfortable and satisfied with being with her boyfriend at beautiful Sweetwater river, she didn't take notice of how whatever Nick wanted to say must have been serious, considering the clear hesitation.

"I love you."

It came out so much quicker than it had taken him to say it. The statement came out like a blur; the three words almost sounding like just one because of how fast Nick had spoken them. Y/N sat up abruptly, shocked at what had left his mouth.

"What?" She gaped at him in a loss for words.

"I love you, Y/N Y/L/N," Nick repeated in more ease this time.

Any last bit of sadness and frustration Y/N felt thanks to Prudence constantly picking on her had faded instantly– as though she had never been upset in the first place. And before she knew it, words identical to those that Nicholas had spoken slowly began flowing out of her mouth.

"I love you too, Nick."

_____ ♔_____

it's quite short, i know and i'm sorry but i hope you liked it!

also i'm sooo sorry for making you guys was so long for updates. i've just been really busy with school, it's exam month, and when i do write, my focus is on my nicholas scratch fanfiction (it's called "Crossroads" so go check it out if you haven't yet!).

again, i hope you enjoyed this one-shot and apologies for the long wait. thanks for reading!