Chapter 13: Warning

The group' slack of motivation was effecting me, it laid around us like a claustrophobic blanket.

A walk in the park will do me good. I convinced myself, and I slunk away as Aqua started yelling at Flame for being lazy. And for him "to get off his arse and help".

So I walked through the regenerated Australian bush, keeping my telepathic communications open in case of any trouble.

Pale gum trees clumped together and gave the flooring of the bush an oily coating, few plants succeeded in battling the superior trees.

Through Zephyr's mind I could see the fight; Aqua and Flame were facing off, Flame has his hands alight and Aqua had water trailing up her arms. The few meters between them curled in steam, Zephyr had to levitate a meter off the ground in order the keep from burning himself. Aqua was in the process of yelling every bad name she had learnt as Assana at him.

"Your such a lazy pig, all you care about is yourself!"

"Your a tight water ass, your parents knew it aswell, that's why they called you Ass-Ana,"

Zephyr and Glebe sent each other restrained grins.

I let the fight fade out of my mind, Aqua was just stressed.

A figure stepped out from behind the trees, instinctively my hand rose to protect me, electricity originating from my palms in a defensive gesture.

"Miki?"

I turned to leave but she called after me, "Spirit wait!"

"I have to go," I replied throwing the words over my shoulder.

"Spirit please, I need your help," the crackle of leaves indicated that she was now following me, "my nephew is dying,"

I stopped,confusion welling up inside of me, I turned to her, "Glebe is your only sibling,"

"Well. Um about that," she shuffled nervously, "I kinda got married,"

"What?" I barely whispered.

With a start I realised that we didn't age like normal humans, Miki was twenty-five. Twenty-five. Even before the apocalypse it was the norm to be in a serious relationship by then.

So why are you so surprised by the news?

"Yeah I got married," she laughed nervously, "just one of the guys at home, he had like four siblings, three of them made it. I mean, one, of, them made it," her face fell, and she looked to the floor, mourning.

"What did this outbreak do to you?"

"Usually the Ebola starts in Africa, but one of the monkeys that the previous doc had caught, when the warship was still up and running, contracted the disease. Then it spread through the community, 86% death rate. We lost a lot of good, and useful people,"

"How many people are not sick?"

"About twenty, survivors of the disease, everyone has either had the disease at one point or died,"

"How much time does your nephew have?"

"Half a day?" Desperation slowly crept into her voice again. "His father has already died,"

"Just give me some time,"

Spirit! Spirit where are you? Zephyr called.

"Spirit!" This time he yelled vocally.

"I have to go," I turned to run.

Miki grabbed my hand and I looked into her eyes, "please Spirit, help us. I know it's not much time but if you've left your camp by two hour's time I'll assume that you want to help and I'll come and find you if-"

"SPIRIT!" I saw his form through the trees.

"I have to go,"

"Two hours," she called after me as I ran.

"What's wrong with you? I was just out for a walk," I cried at Zephyr, who blushed.

"I thought the humans got you," his voice was small.

"I can fight of humans any day," I grinned at him.

He muttered something under his breath, including the words, drugs and paralysed many times. He deserved the punch that I implanted in his arm.

We started walking back to the camp, the conversation with Miki still lingering in my head.

"Flame and Aqua are still fighting, the fight shall be of legendary status," Zephyr said.

And he was right, we reached the campsite where the two were still fighting, the fight in a more physical aspect now. Flame lobbed fireballs while Aqua deflected them with her wall of water, and then Aqua threw spear-like bullets of water which Flame evaporated with a flick of his wrist. Neither seemed to be winning, or losing.

"God," Zephyr sighed, " they should just makeup and have some steam babies,"

"Shhh," I whispered, "this is just a natural mating process for the two elements,"

I looked back to the arch-enemies who had grasped some parts of our conversation.

"Steam babies?" Flame spat, the edges of his eyes dancing with fire.

Uh oh

Together they launched an array of elemental weaponry at us, I pushed Zephyr to the ground, feeling the heat of fire sear my flesh. I fell to the ground the smell of it searing my nosehairs, the pain was unbearable my vision danced before me. Through the pain I could hear Zephyr yelling at Flame, Aqua was trying to get a response from me.

"I'm so sorry Spirit," she begged, "please, I was angry, wake up, get up," her words swam in my ears before I lost consciousness.

...

"If you see it like that, then I'm leaving," Zephyr's snarl barely filtered through the shield of pain.

Don't go! I wanted to cry, stay! But my body laid, frozen, unable to respond and the breath of wind confirmed that Zephyr had left.

"He actually did leave," Flame said, slightly confused.

...

"Spirit? Are you ok?" Aqua brushed off the tear that ran down my cheek, I wished to tell her in full what I suspected.

"Their coming," I whispered, and everything exploded.

Hello again, this chapter is only bones (which is a writing reference) so hopefully in my soon-to-be book wide edit, I'll add some flesh and maybe even some skin.

Thanks for reading.

16 Votes for an early update.