Chapter 4: Dreams Part 2

Time passed like liquid, the blur of white light, masked figures cut, prodded, poisoned and injected. However, Spes always found herself back at her "room" gazing at the view. Earth, a fast sea of blue, dotted by green and mustard terrains, strung across the surface was the occasional clump of clouds.

Your in space! The voice in her head cried, however she was often too fatigued to even care, the small moments of silence, and healing, layered with exhaustion. This moment was one of those days, where she would sit and gaze at the view of Earth, trying to spot her home.

Something had changed from the last few Earth weeks of experiments, she had lost her childish lustre, even though there was still a question for knowledge, being treated as nothing more than a mouse for an experiment had taken away something inside of Spes.

She had given up trying to fight the needles and scaples, sometimes the experimenter would be merciful and give a dose of some in pronounceable drug that made the pain numb for a few hours. On other occasions the experimenter wouldn't care for the pain of what the mouse was going through and Spes would scream in pain, her cries curdling in the air but they achieved nothing aside from being a waste of air.

Her door opened and in the frame stood one of the alien-people, they were taller than normal humans, had skinnier fames and soft, wrinkled skin. Their veins of blue were interlaced across their skin and between their knobby fingers were webs.

"Come child," it's voice was distorted by the mask it wore.

She stood and followed the tall thing, "why do you always wear masks?"

"We have a different, resistance to the air quality,"

"Is that why your hands are webbed?"

The creature sighed and began. "A long time ago, when our planet had been destroyed, the remains of our species fled into the depths of your ocean, we stayed there for thousands of centuries, evolving into more, aquatic species. Eventually once your human government found us, they offered us a life in orbit, where it would be easier for us to study. So we accepted, naturally, it would provide safety from the evil and corruption of your race."

Spes thought for a long time, "I don't want to be corrupt, or evil,"

"Good choice, young one, try to keep it with you as you age,"

The creature stopped in front of a door and opened it, gesturing for Spes to enter.

"Goodbye, young one, maybe in a few years we will meet again,"

Spes nodded goodbye and entered the room, it was a small place, the walls were a soft glowing light. The lighting in the room came from the roofing. Another door was situated opposite the one she entered and as soon as she closed the other one behind her, the new once opened.

Inside was a much larger room, with a floor-to-ceiling view of the Earth, toys and open books flittered around the area. Weaving through the objects was another figure, four figures.

One of them turned to me, her sharp blue eyes widened in fear.

"Watch out!" She cried, her words pulling me from my sleep.

Spirit! Where are you? Please talk to me! Zephyr's mental shouts filtered into my groggy (and conscious) mind.

All of our minds were connected, it was one of the ways we communicated rather than rely on the remains of unreliable technology.

Spirit! I'm coming for you, stay where you are. I noticed that he was most likely using a mind-linking interior tracking skill, and I simply manipulated the features of my surroundings, it would put him off so I would have enough time to gather herself.