Chapter 12: Date

"Is there something wrong with being 'one of a kind'?" I mocked, hand on hip, eyebrow raised in question.

"No, nothing at all," he enveloped me in a hug, Zephyr's lips were close to me ear, "let's go somewhere,"

"Where?" I pulled away.

"Hold on," he said, daring me to go with him.

I clasped my hands together around him and pressed to his chest. Beneath my feet the air swirled, pushing us towards the sky. I pressed closer to Zephyr, not overly excited to fall to my death.

The sun was setting, sending the clouds that lurked on the horizon into an array of soft hues. Zephyr took me to a clearing that overlooked the city.

Two rustic chairs faced each other, a small, circular table sat between the chairs. A lantern provided a flickering glow over the setup, two metallic hemisphere coverings hid whatever was underneath.

My favourite jacket was thrown over one of the chairs, my leather satchel was looped around the back of the same chair as my jacket.

My feet pressed to the Earth, and I spun in a circle.

"Come on," Zephyr grasped my hand and lead me to the table.

In a swift motion he pulled out the chair and gestured for me to sit, "M'lady,"

"Why thank you kind sir," I replied in the same formality. He grinned at my response and held himself like a waiter.
"On ze menu tonight," he declared, his accent horribly failing, "is ze spaghetti," and with a flourish he lifted the metallic cover.

Strings of pasta entwined themselves in a messy formulation, close to the centre a proud collection of meatballs sat contently, bathed in sauce.

Zephyr poured two cups of a drink before seating himself, he raised the glass and gestured for a toast.

The two glasses met with a delicate clink.

"To us," he toasted.

"To us," I repeated.

We drank the bubbling liquid, Zephyr claimed it was Apple Cider, it's origins I pushed out of my mind. Once we had finished the dinner, we climbed the rocky outcrop.

Lantern in hand, satchel over my left shoulder and sitting at my right hip we sat on the cliff that overlooked the city.

"Soon this will all be forest once again," Zephyr said in a thoughtful tone, his eyes distant.

"What will you do then?"

"When?"

"When, we've finished everything we're done. Once we've finished," I waved a hand towards the city, "this,"

"I'm not sure, a palace in the sky would be nice," Zephyr smiled, lost in thoughts of the future to come, "you'd come with me. If you wanted to," he added hastily.

I looked to Zephyr, his face inches from mine.

"Of course I would,"

A/N: Apologies for the short and adjectiveless chapter. The end of this scene is on the front cover, which I have attached in the media section. The other day I realised that we had surpassed 150 views, thanks heaps for that! I have also decided that once this book is finished I'll go over all the past chapters and fix them up. A sequel was planned when I was first writing this book but I am unsure of following it through as I am working on other projects.

15 votes for an early update.