Chapter 24

Chapter 24

Denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance. Denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance. The five stages of grief played like a broken record in Alexis' mind. Denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance. She kept thinking she just needed to get through these five stages and everything would be alright.

Nicholas was coming towards her with a bottle of water, "Alexis?"

She looked up at him with watery bloodshot eyes.

"It's been almost twenty-four hours since you heard about your friend and you haven't moved from the couch. I have an appointment for one of my designs. Are you going to be okay here alone? Should I call Chace?"

"No!" Alexis shouldn't have answered so adamantly because it caused Nicholas to give her a strange look.

"I don't want to leave you alone. Is there anyone I can call to stay with you?"

She shook her head. Yesterday had been horrific. It had been confirmed that Ivy was found dead in her apartment. She had been suffocated. Alexis didn't move, didn't eat, and didn't sleep. Nicholas slept in the loveseat across from her so that he could keep an eye on her.

"I don't want to leave you alone. It's not safe Alexis," Nicholas was wearing a suit jacket.

"Are you going on an interview Nicholas? I thought you only did freelance?" Her question surprised him since it was so out of the blue. He still answered it.

"No Alexis. It's not an interview. I'm having a meeting about one of the ads I created for a local clean-up campaign. Apparently they thought something was wrong with the logo I created and they want to discuss it."

"They couldn't discuss it over the phone?"

"I asked and they said the guy in charge wanted to meet face to face. I don't know why. Some of these suits have no vision whatsoever."

Alexis smiled, trying to push back her guilt regarding Ivy, "You're so artistic. I bet your real parents were artists."

Nicholas grimaced, "It doesn't matter what they were. They gave me up for adoption."

"Yeah, I bet they were artists. Do you know what I used to think my parents were?" Alexis asked ignoring his previous statement.

Nicholas thought the conversation was strange but he went along with it since it made his sister stop crying, "No, what?"

"Astronauts."

Nicholas gave a grin, "Yeah. That's interesting because I used to think you were an alien."

Alexis didn't give him a reaction like she normally would have and Nicholas sighed, "You know...I can reschedule my meeting. I think I need to stay here with you."

"No. You should go. I'll be fine. I'll call a friend over."

"Are you sure?" Nicholas asked.

"Yeah. I'm positive. Please go before I start to feel upset that you're treating me like an invalid," Alexis picked up her phone and dialed Gabby's number.

Gabby picked up and her hello was filled with sniffles and sobs.

"Can you come over?" Alexis asked her friend.

"Sure I need to talk to you anyway," Gabby answered and they both disconnected the call.

Nicholas watched his sister and sighed, "I'm not going to be able to wait for your friend. Make sure you lock the door, okay?"

"I will. Stop worrying," Alexis stood up and walked with her brother to the door.

"Who's coming over? Is it Chace?" Nicholas asked, glancing at his watch.