Chapter 5

"So this is the napkin you were given in the restaurant?" Officer Dean Winters asked Alexis as she sat to the side of his desk at the local police station. His voice was almost drowned out by the din of the other officers talking to one another.

"Yes, I think he's been stalking me," Alexis answered.

"Stalking you?"

"Yes, stalking me. I got an e-mail with the song from the Police...you know...that song, I'll be watching you. It's the exact same lyrics. It's exactly something a stalker would say."

Officer Winters sighed as he placed the napkin on his desk." Listen Ms. Reyna-"

"Doctor Reyna," she corrected him.

He took a moment to smirk before saying, "Doctor Reyna, you write an advice column for the local newspaper and you have a radio show. It's not unusual to have some strange fans. Have you seen any unusual characters around your home? Has anyone been following you?"

"No, nothing like that."

"Has he called you? Gone to your workplace? Or threatened you in front of your colleagues?"

"No, not a direct threat." Alexis bit her bottom lip, wondering if she had  overreacted by coming to the police station. She was beginning to regret her decision.

Officer Winters handed the napkin back to Alexis. "Until you have some evidence that actually shows someone is stalking you, I can't help you." 

He swiveled his chair away from Alexis and began typing on his computer, dismissing her.

"Is that it? Is this a joke?" Her eyes narrowed. "I'm telling you that I feel unsafe and you're telling me that's not good enough?"

Dean's face hardened as he looked at Alexis. "Ma'am, you're telling me  someone is stalking you. I asked you for some proof. You told me you got some weird e-mails and a napkin but none of them have any semblance of a direct threat. You work in a position that puts you in the public eye. From what I can tell, you don't have a stalker. You have a crackpot who wants attention. For now, my hands are tied. I cannot help you."

Alexis wanted to scream but she silently counted to five before turning around and leaving Officer Dean Winters to his work.

Dick's Famous Burgers were known for their creative menu. They had a turkey and cranberry burger stuffed between two dinner rolls that went viral during the holiday season. It was a favorite spot for Deandra who was tapping her fingers against the metal table she was sitting at, waiting for her order.

"The Bob Barker? Who had the Bob Barker?"

"I did," two voices said in unison.

Deandra Ward and a handsome man she wished she knew spoke at the same time.