06

hours had went by as esperanza, victoria, and eric sat at the booth, laughing at whatever topics came up. however, soon enough, the streetlights were turning on as couples and friends in groups walked back home.

however, esperanza sat in the backseat of eric's car—listening to the soft hum of por tu maldito amor that played through the speakers.

as eric turned the corner, espy glanced out of the window—enjoying the somewhat peace that freeridge offered just before the sun completely set. it was rare for the young girl to acknowledge this peaceful environment.

looking through his rear view mirror, eric watched as esperanza leaned her head against the window, the smallest of smiles on her face. focusing back on the road, he laced his fingers through victoria's—the pair giving a loving look to the other.

"aquí," victoria spoke, causing the man and teen to slightly jump.

when the car came to a stop, esperanza unbuckled herself and opened her door. stepping out, victoria embraced her youngest child into a hug. esperanza's arma hooked around her mother's waist, as she took a deep breath—enjoying the few seconds they were in that position.

eric was leaning against his car, watching the mother and daughter interact with a smile on his face.

as esperanza and victoria finally let go of each other, victoria placed her hands on espy's cheeks.

"te quiero, esperanza," victoria said as she placed a gentle kiss on her forehead.

"te quiero también," the girl smiled, before giving her mother another quick hug.

"gracias, eric," espy grinned, "maybe i can meet your niñas soon,"

"of course, mija," eric beamed.

now giving the man a quick hug, esperanza backed up from the two and waved, before walking up to the porch. unlocking the door, esperanza stepped in and locked the door again. letting out a sigh, she dropped the bag she had been carrying all damn day.

esperanza barely had enough energy to change to her pajamas. as quickly as she could, she placed the oversized shirt over her body and put on a pair of shorts and crawled into her bed. in less than three minutes, the latina was out the rest of the night.

esperanza, monse, and cesar were walking and talking about monse meeting her mom and espy meeting her mom's novio.

"sounds like all of you really connected," cesar said, lacing his fingers with esperanza's.

"i know!" the latina beamed, "it was great, honestly. to make it even better, eric wants me to meet his daughters–me! can you believe it?"

"of course, i can," cesar smiled.

"who wouldn't want to have their kids meet you?" monse said, as she walked besides esperanza.

"it's just, weird. derek doesn't know and eva thinks i'm just with my mom,"

"i thought you were gonna tell them last week," cesar ask.