01

abuelita, ruby, monse, esperanza, and jamal sat at the table still, listening to one of amber's stories—one that espy didn't care to listen to as she poked at her food.

when the latina looked up from her plate, the chair that ruby once sat in was empty, which caused esperanza to meet monse's irises.

they held a silent, yet obvious, conversation with their eyes.

is she serious? was written all over esperanza's face as monse just nodded.

the two glanced back over to amber, smiling and nodding as if they were paying attention. soon, the braid-wearing girl stood up and walked to the kitchen.

finally getting some silence, it seemed to end as the doorbell rang and geny called out, "i'll get that! i will get that,"

as mrs. martinez opened the door, esperanza and monse went to whispering, as in the next room the pregnant woman stood.

"wasn't mario always saying something about wrapping it up?" espy stated, leaning over the table so monse would hear her.

"yeah, talk about hypocrisy," monse rolled her eyes, "and he knocked up someone that talks a lot,"

"don't be rude! for all we know she doesn't have many... friends,"

monse sent the girl a look, to which she chuckled.

"just– okay that's probably why she talks a lot," esperanza gave in, hearing the front door shut.

both girls moved their conversation to the couches, where amber also sat.

"mira esto," esperanza nudged monse, to her phone that held a snapchat memory from the year before.

in the photo was, ruby, monse, cesar, jamal, and esperanza standing in front of the kitchen. the next memory was a video of cesar and ruby messing with jamal, chasing him around with a piece of pie in each of their hands.

the two laughed as the memories ended, smiling at the screen. as the screens went back to her recent memories, videos and pictures from olivia's quince were on screen, as esperanza hasn't used the app since that day.

not noticing, monse went back to her phone, doing god knows what, as esperanza opened up her text messages.

princesa🥰
me siento enferma, i
might go home soon.
donde estas?

mi amor❣️
with oscar

princesa🥰
como le fue?

mi amor❣️
all good.
gonna hit up a party with
the homies.
not sure if i'll be there for the
countdown.

princesa🥰
okay.
ten cuidado, and don't be
kissing other chicas.

the nervous feeling in esperanza's stomach faded when cesar replied that he was with spooky.

as monse, espy, and jamal stood behind ruby, who stuffed his face with pie, monse was the first to speak.