Chapter 4

I am so nervous i feel like my stomach is practicing for a gold metal in the Olympics. Ashton should be here any minute. He sounded really excited on the phone. I have my guitar, amp, music sheets, picks, everything i will ever need ready. I can't remember the last time i have played with anyone, much less a freaking hot australian drummer. I walk around my apartment trying to stay busy even though there is nothing left for me to do. I almost scream when i hear a knock on the door. I practically run to the door. I take a deep breath before i reach for the door knob. I open the door to see him holding a large wooden box with one arm, a bag slung over his shoulder and the other is what he must have used to knock. "Oh! Um, hi" i say surprised by how much he is carrying. "Hey!" He says smiling. Those dimples are going to be the death of me. I can't help but glance at his flexed bicep. I catch myself and look away. "Come in!" I say. He walks into the room and set's the large wooden box down. "Um, what exactly is that?" I ask. "It's a Cajon." He says. "You hit it and it makes noise" He says in a mocking tone. I laugh. "Well excuse me" i say, playing along. "So what do you want to play?" I ask. "Anything. We can do covers or if you have any originals we can do those." He says. "Um, ok. Well why don't we start with something we both know" I say leading the way to the corner where i have all of my music stuff. He stops walking and looks around. "What's that sound?" He says. "What sound?" I ask. "There's like a... buzzing noise. Is there a sink running or something?" I look around the room searching for the sound sorce. Something flying by the window catches my eye. I feel like i am hit with a wave of explanation. "Ooh! There's a bee's nest outside my window" i say. He looks surprised. "Really?" he says. "Yeah it's been there for a while" I say "I guess i have just gotten used to it". I pick up my guitar and start tuning. Not like i didn't do this a million times already. Gotta look professional. He carries his things over and set's them down. "You've got a nice place here" He says looking around. I snort. If that's what you want to call it. "Thanks" i say with a sarcastic tone. "No really. I like it. It's cozy. Reminds me of home" He says. "So where IS home for you?" I ask. ..that's not too personal right? people can ask that right? oh god. "A tiny town outside of Sydney" He says. "Wow. that's cool" i say. "I like it more now then i did when i was a kid" he says. "Oh i know all about that" i say. "Where are you from?" he asks. "A tiny town outside of Houston" i say. "Houston Texas?" he asks. "yeah" i say. "cool" he says. We sit in silence for a moment. what now? "Hey do you want to do that song you played at the gig?" He asks. I am surprised that he remembers any of my songs. "Sure which one?" i ask. "That one that was about moving on" He says "i really liked it" He smiles reasuringly. "Oh ok. yeah that one" i say. I reach for a pick when he suddenly says "How can you stand that all day?" he asks looking slightly disgusted. Shit what's wrong with me now. "That buzzing" he says looking at the window. "Oh, is it bothering you?" I say jokingly. "Yes as a matter of fact it is" he says. "Well, i am not about to reach out there and get stung by a million bee's" I say. He looks around "Do you have like, a broom or something?" I laugh. "Are you crazy?!?" He shrugs. "yeah" i am shocked. This guy is crazy. "Um yeah i have a broom but that doesn't mean i am going to let you use it to whack a bee hive through my open window" I say. "Don't you want it gone? I am an expert at these things" He says. I roll my eyes. "Alright. Fine. But if you let a bunch of bee's into my appartment you are going to get every single one out" I say. "Ok, challenge accepted" he says. I go to get the broom. "This is crazy" i say, bringing it to him. He grabs it and walks to the window. I stand back. He pulls the window open and the buzzing get's louder. bad idea. BAD idea. I am already flinching at every noise. He sticks the broom out the window. This can't end well. He whacks at the nest. bee's swarm out and he pulls the broom back inside and shuts the window. Bee's pound against the glass. "Oh real expert ha?" I say mockingly. He laughs. "You just made it worse!" i say. He watches the bee's fly around outside. Then he jumps back. "what?" i ask. "Bee in the house! Bee in the house!" he yells. "OH GOD!" I say. We run away from the bee buzzing around the window. "Get it out!" I yell. "How?!?" he asks. "Kill it!" i say. "How?!?" he aks. "I DON'T KNOW JUST GET RID OF IT!" I yell. The bee comes our way. I scream and run to the bathroom where i grab a can of hairspray. What good is this going to do?. Then i get an idea. "Hey! Catch!" I throw the can to him. He catches it and looks at it. "What am i supposed to do with this? Offer it a new hairstyle?" He asks. "NO! spray it! It won't be able to fly then!" He starts praying the can everywhere. I shake my head. Idiot. Apparently it worked because the bee falls on the counter. I run and whack it with a magazine. He looks at me afraid. For good reason. "Oh. My. God. Is that what you call helping?" i try to yell but end up laughing. He laughs too. The whole thing was so rediculous i can't help but laugh. "Sorry" He says in between laughing. After a minute we are both gasping for air. I wipe a tear from my eye. Why do i cry when i laugh. i look crazy. Once we have collected ourselves i say "Ok, let's play some music" We play a few songs. I am surprised by how good he is, even for someone who is just hitting a box i can tell he is really talented. After we finish he says "You have a really pretty voice" My stomach flips and my heart swells. Is that even natural? Or do i have some kind of serious medical issue. I feel myself blush. "Thanks" I say. "Well. I hate to say this but i have to go" He says. "I have a meeting that i can't miss" He starts packing up his things. "Ok, well good luck getting out of this building without being stung" I say. He laughs. "I really am sorry about that" He says. I lead him to the door and open it for him. He walks out and turns to face me. "Well, until next time" He says. "Until next time" I say with a smile. He turns to leave. I shut the door and lean against it slowly sliding to the ground. I am exhausted in the best kind of way. 

                                                                                    *

I glance out my window and see a man. I scream. I look closer and realize he is wearing a pest control outfit. I grab my phone and see a message from Ashton. "This time a real expert will take care of it" I smile. wow. Just wow.