Her Boss's Baby - Chapter Fourteen

"So, Shyanne and Chase are no longer enjoying the benefit portion of their friendship." Nicole said as she dropped the empty pizza box in the trash can.

"Whose decision was that?" Jane led the way to the living room where she flipped on the television. 

"Shyanne's of course." Nicole answered, "She wanted to go chase after another guy." 

"Chase pissed?" 

Nicole shrugged, "You know how he is. Tells her it's fine, he's fine. Then he disappears into the mountains for a week." 

"I wish he wouldn't do that. It freaks Mom out every time." 

"He's off climbing the side of a mountain without ropes, I don't blame her." 

"He just likes the extreme." Jane shook her head. 

"Didn't you go with him a few times?" 

"I tried it." Jane answered, "But I didn't go as high as he does." 

"He was supposed to be back yesterday." Nicole said. 

"What? Why didn't anyone tell me before?" 

"No one wanted to worry you." 

"Well, damn." Jane hurried to find her phone. Calling Chase's number. "He's not answering." 

"He's on the side of the mountain, he doesn't even have it with him. You know he leaves it in the truck when he goes off the grid." 

Jane paced back and forth across the floor. "He knows better than to be late." She dialed her mothers number, "Mom, have you heard from Chase?" 

"No. I haven't heard anything since he came to get his gear." Judy answered. 

"No one has heard from him in a week." 

"Jane, honey, I know your emotions are high with your pregnancy and all, but you know your brother. He does this. Especially when he's upset. He'll go off for weeks on end. He's fine." 

Jane groaned, "Fine, let me know if you hear anything." She hung up, and dropped on to the couch. "She's not worried." 

"I'm sure she's not." Nicole curled on the other end of the couch, "Remember the first time he went? He was gone for almost a month before he came sauntering back to your Mom's as though it had been a day." 

"Yeah, she was not happy." 

"She doesn't worry about him anymore." 

Jane rubbed her belly, "Yeah, but with the stalker out there."  

"That guy is after you and Rain, not Chase." 

"True." Jane dropped her head back on the couch, "I just have this really bad feeling." 

"Give it a few more days before you go calling the rescue squad after him." 

"This thing with Shyanne, why did it end?" 

"He wanted a real relationship." 

"Shit. He knows better than that." 

"Yeah. I guess he told Shy he was in love with her, and he wanted her to move in with him." 

Jane couldn't help but laugh, "He should have known what was coming." She sat up, "Wait." She turned sideways on the couch, "He did know. He was trying to get her to break it off." 

"What do you mean?" 

"I talked to Chase a few weeks ago. He was interested in a girl at the diner he always has breakfast at. He said he wanted to break off things with Shy, but he didn't want to hurt her since he knew she has been chasing him since our teens."