Her Boss's Baby-Chapter One

"No, no, no!" Jane Truman groaned as she twisted the key again and again in her old beat up Honda. It was no use, the distinct clicking told her the battery was dead. 

With a groan, she climbed out of the car, grabbed her purse, and work bag before slamming the door. Digging her phone out of her purse, she got online and ordered a car service. It would take fifteen minutes to arrive. 

As she started swiping through her email, her phone started ringing. The caller ID indicated work was calling. "This is Jane." 

"Where are you?" Allison, the receptionist in the law offices they both worked at, asked, "the meeting started fifteen minutes ago." 

"What meeting?" Jane pulled her tablet from her work bag, and opened her calendar. "I don't have anything on my calendar." 

"There was an email about it last night." Allison replied. "Keith has asked for you three times already." 

"Shit." Jane found the email from her boss. "My car broke down again. I'm waiting for a car service." 

"I'll let them know." Allison hung up. 

A car with a bring pink light in the window pulled into the parking lot, Jane waved to the driver, and hurried to meet it. Settling in the back seat, she gave the address, and thanked the driver, "I'm late." She said. 

"Oh, boy," the old man behind the wheel said, "not the best way to start off a Monday." 

"You're telling me." Jane buckled her seat belt as the car left the parking lot. 

"You mind talk radio?" The man asked, "I like my news in the morning." 

"I don't mind at all." Jane replied. She pulled out her phone as he turned the radio up. 

"Lincoln Reynolds was convicted of murdering his wife and young daughter in 1995." the talk radio host was saying. "He was sentenced to life without parole." 

"I remember that." the driver said, "I watched the trial on television." 

"I remember as well." Jane replied absently. She was only half listening.  

"In an incredible turn of events, Reynolds new lawyer, Rain Wolf, presented evidence of judicial misconduct on the part of the District Attorney at the time. Due to this new evidence, the judge has granted Reynolds a new trial." 

Her phone forgotten, Jane turned her attention to the reporter. "Sources say Reynolds may even get out on bail until his new trial." 

"Lord," the driver breathed, "the guy killed his wife and kid, and now he's going to be walking free?" 

"It's the kind of crime," Jane pointed out, "that he's likely only going to commit once. Since he only had one wife, and one daughter, he isn't likely to go kill them again." 

"Do you buy this new evidence?" the driver asked, "I don't trust that Rain Wolf lawyer. He tends to cut corners on cases." 

"You a lawyer?" Jane asked. 

"Was, once." the driver answered, "Now I'm just a driver." 

"Why don't you practice anymore?" 

"Got tired of the rat race. Decided to retire. But I love driving, so I do that instead." 

"Did you ever cross Rain Wolf in the courtroom?" Jane asked. 

The driver nodded, "Once or twice. He likes to find loopholes in the law to win his case. Doesn't matter what's right. Just whether or not he wins."