chapter nine

A U B R E Y

A U B R E Y

"Hey, Christina!" Mitchie greeted the girl we recently met with open arms. They quickly hugged, their smiles never failing as they began to talk about how their day went.

"What's going on inside that tiny little brain of yours, Kendrick?" A voice asked, and I looked over to see Phoebe.

"Just thinking about what to do next. Mitchie's refusing to actually sing at the open mic tonight, I think she should." I shrugged, looking at the brunette.

"Normally I would disagree with how you want her to get out of her comfort zone or whatever, but I actually agree with you on this one." She replied, and I sighed.

"I get it. You don't like what I'm doing with Mitch. But she needs this, more than anything else. I promise you, it seems like I'm treating her like my Barbie doll right now but by the end of the summer you will agree with everything I do because she will be much happier in the end." I told her, and she just sighed and looked at the blonde who was talking to her new friend.

"I know you're trying to do what's right for Mitchie, but don't you think that if she was really trying to change herself and go out of her comfort zone she would?" Phoebe asked.

"If she was really against it she would tell me no," I stated.

"But you don't listen, Aub. You sit there and manipulate and try to convince her that she needs this and that this is what's best for her." Phoebe quietly scolded me, and I stared at her with wide eyes.

Scoffing, I glanced at Mitchie before back at Phoebe. "You seriously think I manipulate her? I'm not manipulating her- whatever she does is her choice."

"Phoebs, come over here I want you to meet some of my friends!" Griffin called from a few feet away, and Phoebe just shook her head at me once before turning and walking toward her older brother.

"So what does your dad do?" An unknown girl asking caught my attention, and I looked over to see a girl with brown hair, purple at the ends talking to Mitchie.

"Oh, my dad isn't around," Mitchie sadly admitted, earning a sad look from Christina.

I know exactly what these girls are doing. I've heard more than enough information about them and I know for a fact they only allow popular, rich girls into their group. They'd let me in easily, no doubt about it but Mitchie?

Poor Mitchie would never get in if they found out that her dad isn't around on TOP of the fact that her mom just owns a restaurant that happens to be working in the cafeteria for Camp Rock.

Mitchie needs to know what being in the popular crowd is. She needs to know what it's like having lots of people like her, only not liking her due to being jealous of her. She never experienced it in our Freshman year of high school, she didn't try. Now that she's got new clothes and a new look, this is her chance.

The girl I heard about - Heather, and the two other girls (the purple-haired girl being one of them) began to walk away, and I did the first thing that came to my mind.

"But Mitchie's mom!" I spoke quickly, beginning to slowly walk toward my best friend.

"Yeah?" The redhead turned back around, looking at me with narrowed eyes.

"She's..." I began, thinking of the first little white lie that came to my head. "She's the president, of Hot Tunes TV," Glancing at Mitchie, she was giving me a slight glare, her eyes narrowed and her mouth agape. "It's all the way in China." I finished, trying my best to look as if I was telling the complete truth and that my best friend wasn't sending daggers through head.

"It's a big deal over there," I spoke again after a few moments of complete silence.

"Wow, that's... cool." Heather turned her eyes to Mitchie, a small smile on her face.

"So cool!" The purple-haired girl replied, a giant smile on her features as she lightly jumped in place.

"Major cool, so have you like, met anybody?" The third girl asked. I gently looked her over. She had pretty brown hair, styled in an afro. There were fake kitty ears on the top of her head, and she had the prettiest winged eyeliner around her eyes.

"Uh," Mitchie began, but I cut her off.

"Yeah, like everybody! Our families are very close, so we do almost everything together." At least that part wasn't a lie. "Last summer, we got to be in like three different music videos, although you can't really see us because there were so many people. One of those types of videos." Complete and total lie.

"Wow, so cool!" The three girls said at the same time.

"And what is it your parents do?" Heather asked, pointing a perfectly manicured finger toward me.

"Yeah, you know a lot about Mitchie, who are you?" Kitty ears asked, narrowing her eyes slightly.

"My daddy owns a giant business that has buildings in multiple states. My mother runs a fashion business in five." I answered truthfully, it's kind of upsetting I can't be honest for both my best friend and I, although I will not join another popular squad without her.

"That's amazing!" Heather smirked, before turning to the two girls next to her. "Are you girls thinking what I'm thinking?"

"Yep," Kitty ears replied.

"Absolutely," Purple-haired girl replied. "Wait actually no, what are we thinking again?" She asked, her eyebrows furrowed.

Heather let out a happy sigh as she turned back to Mitchie, Christina and I, although what she said only applied to Mitch and me. "There's two extra beds in our cabin. You're both free to join if you'd like."

I let out a happy squeal, jumping as I gripped onto Mitchie's arms. She held a nervous smile on her face, and I knew I was in for a heck of a talk later on tonight but it's definitely worth it. Screw what Phoebe thinks. I know what my best friend needs and in the end, she and everyone else will be thanking me for getting Mitchie out of her comfort zone and actually doing what she likes to do without worrying what everyone else thinks.

"Are you serious?" Mitchie finally asked, her voice shaking from nerves.

"Yes, totally. I have a feeling you guys will be great friends with us, come on and sit with us in the VIP section." Heather told us before walking away, her two friends following directly behind. I immediately began to follow suit, but turned to see Mitchie looking at Christina anxiously.

"Nah, I'm good. Have fun though," Christina sadly told Mitchie, who nodded before beginning to follow me.

"Hey, Heather?" Mitchie coolly asked, getting the red head's attention. "Aub and I are thinking we should leave early, go gather our stuff so we can meet you at the cabin. Sound good?"

Heather nodded with a smile and the moment she turned away Mitchie's sly smile fell and she gripped my arm tightly, pulling me away from the crowd.

"What the hell was all that for?!"

--

edited: september 10th, 2019