26 - March of Fools

Now that they could turn on the BBC, CNN and other television feeds and actually see video of multiple points of terrorist attack on Turkey's oil refineries and gas lines, the gathered leaders in the Kremlin war room were starting to rationalize why they had been called in. That the call came before the attacks was still confusing to some.

Television coverage showed a massive Turkish military response, with low-flying attack aircraft apparently heading to engage hostile forces all across the country. Russian surveillance via satellite and drone aircraft showed plumes of smoke rising from burning facilities and from military engagement around the facilities. The news commentators were confirming rumors that hundreds of terrorists were involved.

Boris Pulisin final limped into the war room at 5:00 p.m. after keeping the heads of his government and military waiting for several hours. He spent only a minute looking at the video feeds, all the while carrying on a mumbled conversation with an unseen companion.

"Son-of-a-bitch, just as you said. The whole fucking country is burning." He paused to watch until a car commercial came on, then continued. "So, now is the time that we must act."

The president then turned to the leaders in the room. He addressed the chief of staff. "General, you have massed several of your armored divisions north of the Georgia border as ordered?"

Most of the people in the room had known nothing of the troop movements, but the general was prepared for the question.

"Yes, Mr. President. More than 40,000 troops with sufficient trucks, light armored vehicles, rolling artillery and full supply-line capability. They have been quietly moved forward as part of a preparedness exercise, that has been announced as routine to neighboring countries."

Boris smiled and continued, "If these troops were to cross the border into Georgia, how much time would they need to arrive in significant numbers at the border to Turkey?"

The general wished that he had some support staff with him.

"Well, it is approximately 300 kilometers of winding highways and secondary roads over mountains, with several options around Tbilisi. Were we moving on empty road, perhaps eight to ten hours for trucks, maybe slightly longer for the LAVs and supply vehicles."

"Excellent." Boris now seemed to finish his conversation with the unseen third party. He sat down and began making a list of things on paper in front of him. Then he raised his head and slowly smiled again. He seemed more like the icy warrior that they all knew, once again.

"Here are your orders." He paused while the ministers and generals took up their own pens and paper.

"Tonight, I will address the nation, expressing my shock at the unfortunate event in Shenzhen and offering condolences for all parties. That will be the end of that until Kutnetzov finally dies."

"I will then announce the interim government of Turkey has asked for Russia's help in responding to the terrorist challenge that has engulfed the country following today's attacks on strategic energy resources. In consideration of goodwill needed on the part of both countries, Russia will agree to immediately help with security, emergency supplies and with restoration of services."

He paused, to ensure that the politicians and military leaders were getting it all.

"Then, I will announce that Russian troops and equipment have been requested to enter the country at midnight tonight, with the goal of proceeding through Turkey to the borders with Syria, where we will form a joint response force to push the terrorist threat back and eventually defeat it with massive ground forces."

Satisfied with the decisiveness of his commands, Boris sat back and smiled broadly. The grin was a little crooked, as the healing injury to the side of his head was still the most prominent of his features.