18 - Devastation Row

Philip Grey called the Elders and fighters together following a telephone call from his father. He knew that the information would be devastating to Lulu; he dreaded his task of passing it on.

He had protested to Armand that it was inappropriate for him to be the messenger on something this important, but Armand had insisted, indicating some urgency of actions at his end that would preclude a conference call. Philip tried to contain his emotions as he prepared to relate the grim news to the small group.

"I will try to provide the information exactly as I heard it from Armand."

He looked around the room briefly, realizing that more and more he was being drawn into a leadership position. Now, he would be expected to speak for Armand and to answer questions that he had no answers for. He hoped that Jack would take charge, once he had delivered the new information.

Philip spoke bluntly, "Armand indicates that, as far as he knows, the intervention in the Baltics has failed."

There was a collective intake of breath and shaking of heads. Philip could see questions forming on the fighters' lips, although not from the Elders.

He quickly continued, "The details he related are that Elder Mikilo Chernoyiv has escaped the dacha, taking Elder Black with him, most likely against her will."

"What about Jake Brun and his team?" The question came from Snow as Lulu was digesting the news of her mother's fate. Will had taken her hand in consolation.

"Armand indicates that Jake Brun is out of contact. He couldn't confirm his status, but indicated that his information did not come from Elder Brun directly. Perhaps a team member contacted London or they have observers at the scene; I don't know any details."

He continued, "Armand's exact words were: Expect the worst; Jake is down and is unable to communicate."

"I have no more information from the location than this. I'm sorry."

As Philip had expected, the eyes of the group turned to Jack Green. Emma White was the ranking Draumr, but Jack was considered the war counsel, so it would fall to him to direct the team on their actions.

Jack asked Philip, "Did Armand give any direction as to our next steps?"

Philip swallowed to get some saliva back before speaking.

"Yes, he said to go after Xana with everything that we've got, as we are now the only ones who can stop her. He said that the First Circle directive of using 'whatever means necessary' still stands."

"Oh, and he said: Good Luck."

It was early evening outside the windows of the mansion. Dusk was rapidly draining the light from the sky. Nearby, the brilliant nighttime lights of Shenzhen would soon fully replace the brightness of day. Inside the team headquarters, without most lights on as yet, it had become significantly gloomier.

The team now knew that this night would be the one that would decide their fate and perhaps decide the fate of peace in the world. There could be no doubt now that the Red Clan and their agents intended to murder a key world leader. Of all the billions of people on the earth, only the six of them in the tight circle around an antique wooden kitchen table, had the knowledge, and possibly, the means to stop it.

Jack raised his eyes to Emma; with her nod, he began to speak to the team.

"Well, this is bad news, but for us, it is only confirmation of the need to carry on with what we have prepared to do."

He looked to Lulu. "We have no reason to believe that Gloria is in any danger, although she may well be fairly pissed at her treatment. I continue to have confidence that Cherry will not hurt her. Jake Brun is tough as nails. We can hope for better news on his situation. Unfortunately, though, we cannot be distracted from our job, particularly now."