2 - Lapis Means Blue

On waking, the young Leutnants made their way to the dining hall to get food and hot drinks. Water and Emma knew that they were busting with questions about the next steps and about the revelation of a previously unknown Blue Clan based in Asia, referred to as the 'Lapis' in English. An explanation was needed and the task of explaining fell to Jack Green.

"I could tell you that this is someone pulling your chain and that there is no Blue Clan. If we had the time or the luxury of a lark, I'd be the first to do it. Unfortunately, we don't have either, so I'll be brief and as forthcoming as I can. If the explanation sounds a little sketchy, it's because I don't know the whole story either."

He looked around at the assembled crew. As they were wide-awake and in-person, they now wore the workout gear of trainees, actively building both knowledge and skills. Tees, sweats or yoga pants were standard apparel around the clock. They were moving in and out of dreamscapes to practice skills, so clothes were mostly for comfort. Still, the women looked hot enough to cook a duck and Will looked half-cooked.

Jack started with a preamble. "The Blue Clan, or family last name of Lapis, are part of our lineage going back to the recorded origins of Draumrs in Europe. Until the late 1600's, there was quite a bit of movement between Clans on the continent and in Asia. America was still a wilderness. In the 1700's, a Lapis child assumed the 'reincarnated' role of Dalai Lama for all Tibetan Buddhists. This was Kelzang Gyatso Lapis. Whether or not he was a reincarnation of an earlier leader is inconsequential for Draumrs. His actual blood line was pure Draumr. What is relevant, is that by the time he consolidated his role leading the Buddhist sect around 1750, he had also taken the Elder's chair in the First Circle for the Blue Clan."

"With the spread of Tibetan Buddhism, the Draumr Blue Clan also spread its influence. The role of the monk was a great cover, but it also set the widespread beliefs of the primarily faithful Buddhist Blue Clan at odds with the non-religious European Clans of the times. Harsh words and minor skirmishes ensued. Throughout the 18th and 19th centuries, the influence of Western culture—mostly our Black and Grey Clans, rubbed up hard against Asian culture—the Lapis, until conflicts threatened to break apart Draumr unity of purpose entirely."

Seeing nothing but blank looks, Jack continued, "The Lapis leadership declared it had no further use for the hierarchy of the Circles and pulled out of all functional and oversight roles. In the 20th century, as global politics and wars broke up Western-led Asian empires, the First Circle agreed that Asian lands would come fully under Lapis control. The 'treaty' with the Lapis effectively established exclusion terms. In short, we didn't muck around on their turf and they didn't fart around on ours. But, we acknowledge each other's existence and maintain some connections."

Jack took a breath and looked around to see if the truncated story was making sense to all. No-one said anything as it was clear that he hadn't gotten to his point yet. He was still warming up the jury before asking them to do something with the information.

"So, let me get to the meat of the issue." Jack held his hands together and upward as if holding a five-kilo rump roast.

"Global boundaries are breaking down everywhere. There are no longer any clear-cut lines of demarcation, particularly as various regions move in and out of western or eastern influence. It is damn difficult not to walk on each other's toes. Of course, dreamers don't hold still either. Asians immigrate here. Westerners work there. We interact at a diplomatic level to seek permissions, and sometimes, to ask forgiveness, with a First Circle Elder designated as the primary contact for the most senior Lapis Elder."

He paused again. "Here's the kicker; for the last thirty years, the role of Lapis emissary from our Clans has been Mikilo Chervoniy."

This information finally caused a hubbub in the room. The realization that their number one enemy was also the First Circle's pathway to a whole other Clan, that could be vitally important, was a lot to accept casually.