→ᵗᵉⁿ

Episode Ten: How it Happens𖥸❊𖥸❊𖥸❊𖥸❊𖥸❊𖥸❊𖥸❊𖥸❊𖥸❊

𖥸❊𖥸❊𖥸❊𖥸❊𖥸❊𖥸❊𖥸❊𖥸❊𖥸❊

   The second official exploratory expedition left New Ham on the afternoon of December 4th. Based on Gordie's aerial reconnaissance, the party headed due west for two miles, and then turned north and east, arching a slow, circular path around the perimeter of the town. By the night of the third day, they were north-northeast of New Ham and had found nothing but trees.

                                  ♚

   "And how long has this been going on? How many days have you been doing the jobs that we're assigned to you?-" I was standing by Helena, listening to Lexie speak in the church.
   "A hundred and seventy-two days now." A girl replied.
   "Okay, you actually counted, um..." Lexie chuckled at her answer. I rolled my eyes. "But no, like, a lot of us have because that is 172 days of cleaning, and picking up garbage, and chopping up vegetables, and locking ourselves in our houses at midnight, and having to explain if we're sick so they don't dock our food. And has anyone asked, ever, "Are you okay with any of that?"" Lexie asked her audience.
   "No." A girl responded. Lexie pointed at her.
   "No. No, because... this is a police state. That's what it is. Right? Essentially. Unless we can find 125 votes that say... no. No! Right? Do you think we can do that? Can we say no, you guys?" A few people clapped and cheered. "Yes, come on!" Lexie started to applaud, so her audience followed her actions. I glanced over at Helena from beside me. We both didn't look too happy.

                                  ♚

I stood at the door of Harry's, about to open the door.
"Liv! Hey. Um... would you mind if I join you?" Kelly ran up to me. I nodded, and continued to open the door.
Kelly followed me to Harry's room.
"Is everything okay?" I asked Harry, who wasn't acting quite like himself.
"Yeah." Harry responded.
"Harry..." I tilted my head, not believing him.
"What?" He chuckled.
"You better not be-"
"I'm- I'm not. I promise." Harry interrupted.
"Fine. Kelly, show him the driver." I nodded over to Kelly, as we walked closer to Harry and his couch.
   "Don't we know this guy?" Kelly asked Harry, holding out her phone to show him the bus driver.
   "I don't... I don't know." Harry stuttered.
   "Look. Harry, please. This is important." Kelly pleaded. "Am I crazy or is this the guy from your mother's office?" Kelly asked again.
   "My mother's office? What?" Harry asked, confused.
   "Harry, the day we left, you and Kelly went to see your mom at her office. That's where you seen him." I stated.
   "What? How did you?-"
   "My mom was there also. She keeps me updated. Also... Kelly told me." Harry nodded his head.
   "She was still in a meeting, and it happened to look like a fight, remember? With this guy in the picture?" Kelly tried to refresh his memory. He tilted his head back.
   "Who is he?" Harry wondered.
   "He's the bus driver. Who picked us up, and dropped us back here." Kelly concluded.
   "Why would a bus driver be in a meeting with our mom? That doesn't make any sense." Harry glanced between me and Kelly. 'Our', meaning my mom, and his.
   "No kidding. Thanks for the help." Kelly said, and headed for the door. I started to follow, not before smiling at Harry.
   "Liv?" Harry called after me. I raised my eyebrow, and turned to face him. "Stay." Harry pleaded. I sighed, then nodded.
   "Yeah. Okay. Go ahead Kel. I'll see you later." I smiled at her, then sat down beside Harry. "Why?" I glanced over at him.
   "Why what?" He asked.
   "Why stay?" I repositioned myself so I was fully facing Harry, legs crossed in front me.
   "Same reason you always do. Same reason you're still here."