→ˢᵉᵛᵉⁿ

Episode Seven: Allie's Rules𖥸❊𖥸❊𖥸❊𖥸❊𖥸❊𖥸❊𖥸❊𖥸❊𖥸❊

𖥸❊𖥸❊𖥸❊𖥸❊𖥸❊𖥸❊𖥸❊𖥸❊𖥸❊

six months ago, we were children. this is who we are now. we eat and live communally. we even sweat communally. this is all according to cassandra's rules. now, they are allie's rules as well. a midnight curfew, mandatory weekly town meetings, and the community doctrine: those who don't work, don't eat. we found a balance between doing what's expected of us and finding happiness where we can. in love, or in sex or play. we waffle between following the rules and bending them, constantly worrying that if we bend too far, this whole, rickety structure might topple and break. because we know that we're always one dumb move away from ruin.

                                  ♚

   "uh, so, new class signup sheets are posted in the church lobby. um, we've just added an improv class, and due to popular demand, a second jiu-jitsu class. oh, and finally, i hope to see you all tomorrow for movie night." gwen finished on the stand on the church and handed the mic over to allie.
   "thank you, gwen. okay, i just want to remind everybody that this thursday is thanksgiving, so, uh, bring all your recipes to will so he can make sure that you guys have all the right ingredients. um, next, we have an update from the committee on resources." the blonde motioned to the committee.
   "what about the committee on going home?" lexie blurted.
   "gordie and bean promised me a report on thursday." allie responded to her.
   "are we going home?" she persisted.
   "not before thursday." the whole church erupted with laughter.
   "will?" allie called him to the stand.
   "okay. so, we finished our audit on food supplies, and based on our current rationing, we have enough to carry us through spring. this winter won't be a problem, but our food won't last forever. we all knew that. it'll start to run low by next summer." the crowd shared their concern with audible gasps. katherine gave the people a low chuckle. they should've expected such news.
   "so we're all going to fucking starve?" a girl asked from the crowd.
   "no. of course not. we just gotta change the way we do things. we have a plan. grizz?" allie responded. her gaze burned into grizz as she waited for him to speak.
   "so, um, after thanksgiving, i'm going to lead a search party to look for farmland and for alternative food supplies. if anyone wants to join me, i'm looking for four to five volunteers to come along with me."
   "no fucking way!" a boy shouted at grizz's request.
   "look, we all know what happened to emily. but this is different. we know what to expect now. we'll be prepared. we'll bring proper supplies." he expected his words to settle the minds of the restless but to no avail.
   "but we don't know how to farm. like even if you find this land, who's gonna work it?" lexie argued, the crowd having her back.
   "we will. all of us. we'll have to learn how. just like we learned to do everything else around here. i know it's a lot. and we still have to cook, and clean, and do everything else that makes this place work. it's going to get tougher. but what choice do we have, right? no choice. so we'll do it."
   "fuck." harry mumbled from beside katherine. a stitch formed between her eyebrows as she took a glance in his direction. the top of his palm appeared to be cracked open.
   "we're just gonna take it step by step, okay? just... solve each problem as it comes. and i think we can do that if we stay positive." with the nod of allie's head, the large group was dismissed.