Chapter 10: The Darkness

"Why do you need to know?" She gazed at him, her eyes in slits. If he dared to hurt Devlin there would be hell to pay. Rhiannon didn't want to hurt Kian but she would if she had to. She frowned at her thoughts, running a hand through her hair. What was it with Kian that always made her so aggressive? She just felt so heated, her chest burning with an intense feeling of anger.

"I didn't like the look of him. There's something about him that makes my blood boil, don't ask me why. He's got a lot of darkness, beneath those pretty boy looks of his. You've changed from a single day in his presence. It scares me." Kian said seriously, his eyes intense and burning like blue flames.

The need to protect Devlin bubbled to the surface.

"I think that boiling would be jealousy. You should really learn how to deal with it and if I've changed so much why the hell are you still talking to me? Just piss off if I'm not good enough for you after all." Rhiannon retorted. Darkness seemed to fill her soul and all she could feel was anger. Tendrils of shadow wrapped around her heart. Her pulse raced, like she'd been running a marathon.

Gods, where was all this anger coming from? What was happening to her?

Why did she even care? All these mortals were playthings, to be thrown away at will. They didn't understand her pain or her power. She didn't recognise the voice in her mind anymore. It was so primal and dark. Rhiannon didn't know if she was going crazy. She couldn't control the words spouting from her mouth, her thoughts.

"I'm sorry, alright. I didn't know he was such a sore spot for you. You just met the guy and you're already getting all defensive over him. That's what's scaring me, Rhiannon." He placed a soothing hand on hers.

She wanted to snatch her hand away from him. He didn't deserve her the way Devlin did. That thought made her freeze. Where had that come from? She felt her heart rate go down. She wondered at how he was doing that.

Her anger slowly lapped away leaving her vaguely confused and with a bit of a headache.

"I guess I was a bit jealous. He just looks like the type to break a girl's heart, with all those pretty boy looks. All the Scorpions were going on non-stop about him." He jerked his hand away as if she'd burned him and placed his hand casually on the desk.

Rhiannon would've rolled her eyes if she didn't feel like a jackhammer was going off in her head. To think, she'd thought that Kian was actually dangerous to Devlin, the all-powerful genie. He'd just been assessing the competition for his precious cheerleaders.

She smiled through the pain developing in her head.

She gasped as it increased and spread within her skull. It seemed to grow and pulse like a living entity. Rhiannon felt like a million tiny insects were eating her brain. She almost would've preferred the abnormal anger.

She shuddered at remembering the blood rage she'd felt a moment earlier. And how easily Kian had healed her of it. It would seem Kian was hiding something but at that very moment she didn't particularly care, her head seemed ready to split.

"He's a foreign exchange student, from England. He's shiny, mysterious and gorgeous. Of course, the cheerleaders are in a huff about him. No need to be jealous, Kian. He won't steal your precious cheerleaders. He's not interested in any one of them." Rhiannon pretended to chuckle, her head pounding to an unnaturally loud rhythm. She placed a reassuring hand on his shoulder.

He glanced down at her hand on his shoulder and didn't make a move to take it off. Rhiannon's nail dug into his shoulder as the room began to swim. She closed her eyes tightly, trying to keep out the nausea.

"I said I was a bit jealous and who cares about the darn cheerleaders? No one knows anything about him, don't even know his name. I just noticed you hanging out with him that first day and I was wondering if you two were... you know, together?" Kian slid his eyes away from her eyes and onto the table.

"No we're not 'you know, together'. Does that make you happy? He kind of disappeared before the day ended anyway. So you can rest easy, Kian." She held her hands to her head, the pounded getting more powerful. Nausea built up deep in her stomach, the room swimming around her.

"I didn't mean - Rhiannon, are you alright?" She felt someone shake her, but her eyes couldn't stay open. They fluttered closed, as voices called her name.