Chapter 4: Devastation

They were definitely not in Newford anymore.

Meadows of fresh grass spilled for kilometres around, the dew shining on every single blade like a million tiny diamonds. Flowers sprinkled themselves everywhere, in shades and colours that Rhiannon had never seen before.

The trees shot towards the sky, taller than any trees Rhiannon had ever seen. There were leaves of gold, red, bright orange and every shade of green possible. The sky was an unnatural blue, not a single cloud dominated the sky’s endless blue.

A waterfall cascaded into a crystal clear river, Rhiannon could see to the very bottom. The beauty of the place was intense but there was something utterly wrong with it.

There was no life.

In the river there were no fish, or birds in the trees. Not a single bug buzzed around the endless expanse of flowers and no animals roamed the land. It was completely quiet, the place had no sun but it was still bright. There was no life in this place, and Rhiannon rubbed her upper arms of goose bumps.

“Where are we?” Rhiannon whispered, unsure if her voice would work in this silent place. Devlin touched her shoulder and she felt the unexpected jolt of heat that completely confused her.

She didn’t even know if genie’s worked the way humans did.

“My punishment.” He said under his breath, Rhiannon had to strain to hear him.

Devlin wasn’t cocky anymore. All amusement had left him as he looked around his world. He was obviously as confused as she was. Rhiannon looked at him. Devlin was completely uncomfortable.

She placed a hand on his shoulder.

“I believe you, Devlin. Why did you bring me here, anyway?” Rhiannon asked looking into his eyes. They were shuttered and Rhiannon wanted to stomp her foot in frustration.

“I didn’t bring you to Devastation, my lady. The locket takes its prisoner whenever it thinks it necessary. Whenever I gain enough power, it drains it from me like a leech, leaving only enough to make wishes. I am merely a pawn.” He hung his head, and Rhiannon couldn’t help but feel sorry for the poor guy.

“Devlin, once I make my wishes. Could I wish you free? Has anyone ever tried?” She grabbed his hand, and he looked up at her with eyes that made her stomach do flips. There was such a deep sadness within them that Rhiannon couldn’t understand.

He seemed older because of it.

“No, no one has ever tried. But that’s because it would only be a waste of a wish. I cannot be wished free, I’m trapped within the locket until the day I meet my soulmate. And even then, she must face a trial in order to rescue me.” Devlin answered in a dead pan voice.

He fell onto the ground, his hands covering his face.

Rhiannon walked over and sat next to him.

She studied him, from his well developed arms to his shimmering green eyes.

“What girl would be crazy enough to not want to save your soul, Devlin?” She whispered more to herself than to him.

He looked up at her then, his eyes filled with a dangerous amount of pain.

Rhiannon wished she could comfort him somehow but there was nothing she could do to heal that much pain and hollowness. He had been suffering for a long time. Longer than she wanted to think about.

Devlin reached up and trailed his fingertips down the edge of her jaw. Rhiannon instinctively leaned into his hand until he held her face in his palm. She felt a strange closeness to Devlin like she'd known him a very long time ago. Even his face as she studied him grew familiar but she couldn't quite place where she had met him before.

There were so many strange thoughts buzzing around in her head, that she didn’t know what to do.

He removed his hand.

Rhiannon leaned against his shoulder, watching his face. She didn’t know how long they sat there. They sat there simply thinking, wondering what paths their lives were leading them on.

Rhiannon knew she could’ve stayed in Devastation, forever.

“The locket should let me leave now. I should let you go back now.” Devlin began. His voice was a little huskier than it was before, and Rhiannon guessed it was the drain. There was a rumble behind it, of strength that made her feel safe.

He shook his head slowly closing his eyes, trying to clear his head. As he stood up, he nearly tumbled to the floor again. She rushed to help him, pulling his arm over her shoulders.

“Are you okay?” She asked worriedly.

“I don't understand why that expression has taken off in the modern age. It makes no sense to me. But yes, I am okay. I’m just a little tired. Or at least I should be okay in a moment.” Devlin chuckled, trying to stand by himself. He closed his eyes and grabbed her hands, pulling her to him.

“Just so you know if ever you need me, just think of me and I will appear. It’s as simple as that. Oh and um... Don’t wear the locket in the shower.” He smiled half heartedly as Rhiannon's eyes widened

“What!?” She shouted as suddenly the lights went out.

A/N: Hey guys. How's it hangin'? Where you guys from? Please tell me about yourselves! Extremely short chapter I know, help me edit if you'd like. And by the way. Team Kian or Team Devlin?

xxLadyKnight