Chapter 9 : A Secret Meeting

Nick reached the river and set the crate down. He hurried and washed the dishes and set them back in the rinsed crate to dry. He spotted several boys and girls doing the same chore. He gathered timber and searched his pack for flint. Nick sat by the fire at the river and waited for Anora and Kurin.

            “There he is.” Nick turned to see Kurin and Anora swim across the river to him.

            “What were you doing over there?” Nick watched Anora sit by the fire and wring out her wet hair. He pushed thoughts of her out of his mind and pulled out his journal from the satchel.

            “There were too many people washing dishes on this side, so we were going to meet you across, but it seems they are almost done. We’ll be private enough here.” Kurin frowned his brow at Nick. “Don’t look at me like that Nickadamus, your love is safe. I did not make her eyes twitch without you.” Anora pushed Kurin, toppling him over and Nick let out a laugh.

            “We’ll have time for that later, what did you both find?” Nick was bursting to let out his findings but decided to wait.

            “The magistrate found me rustling around in the library and asked me to leave. I snuck out and watched from behind a cart to see if he closed it up, but only saw the council members enter through the back. I couldn’t hear what they met about, but I’d place my talents to wager it was about the red book.” Kurin performed his wind spell and dried himself off.

            “I went to an old friend of my father’s about the spell. He gave me information from his notes. It seems like a complex spell to cast it on the entire village. The timing needs to be just right.” Anora glanced annoyingly at Kurin. “So why am I still dripping wet and you are dry? Do the Sentinel’s have a rule against drying ladies off first? Or am I for your amusement? The summer air is still chilly at night.” Anora made like she was going to push Kurin again then let him help her up. Kurin winked at Nick, and then performed the wind spell causing her long hair to blow down over her face.

            Nick laughed at the sight and motioned for Anora to sit in front of him. He began raking the tangles out of her hair with his fingers.

            “How is it that this friend of your father’s knew the spell? The book didn’t give any information about it.” Kurin began shaving a stick with his knife.

            “He didn’t have the spell. I got the spell from a book I stole from the library. I figured you could sneak it back inside before morning.” Anora stared at Kurin. He sighed. “This friend gave me notes about the components. I have a list here of what I need. Once the components are gathered, we have to conjure it when the moon is right. The red leather book explains that part.” Anora thanked Nick and sat next to him, creating a triangle around the fire. “But that still leaves the fourth generation of Una and the coming of age. What did you find out from Nunca, Nick?” Anora and Kurin watched Nick open his journal and glance at it.

            “Nunca knew I was coming about her uncle Tobin. She has been having visions for years about it.” They looked from one to another in amazement. Nick began reading from his notes and both gave him their complete attention.

            “My mother said Toulle appeared in the forest as a boy one day, and they never thought to question it. She said he was a blessing from the Ones.”

            Anora shook her head, “you have to somehow check his arm for the clan markings, Nick. But what does the coming of age mean?”

            Kurin interjected, “my mentor explained the things that can happen while shape shifted. He said that only fully matured adults should attempt the shift. Younger children that have not come of age, will be pulled into the animal’s cylce of nature, and throw them out of balance. I don’t know if that means anything to you, but that’s what came to mind.” Kurin looked defeated and went back to carving his stick.

            “It means something Kurin. Nick will have to find the answer. He is the only one available to Toulle. What else did your mother say about him Nick?” Anora waited.

            “It was mentioned that he might not be feeling well, and that is the reason we are on break together, Kurin. Perhaps that has meaning as well.” Kurin popped his head up and smiled at them.

            The riverside grew quiet. Nick glanced up from his notes and looked. Kurin and Anora followed his glance and they noticed they were alone.

            “I’d better get these dishes back to town. I could have swam the river twice by now, mother will be worried.” Nick packed his satchel while Kurin stomped out the fire.

            “Nick, there is one element I need from your end. Can you find me Saphrim leaves? They grow high between the red barked branches.” Anora pointed up.

            “I have not learned flight form yet, looks like it’s your turn Nick.” Kurin chuckled.

            “Which ones are the Saprhim?” Nick squinted in the darkness to view the purple and red leaves of the tree.

            “They are small lavender ones, between the large branches. They have a unique shape. Oh Nick did you not pay attention again in class?” Anora looked thoughtfully at Nick.

            “I have studied very hard, if you do not mind. We most likely have yet to cover these leaves. I doubt a dissimulation spell is in the curriculum.” Kurin mouthed the word curriculum and Anora chuckled. Nick nodded and said to wait for morning to pick the leaves.

            The three of them ventured back into the village.

            “We’ll meet on the morrow, at my rock.” Nick bade them farewell for the evening and headed back inside.