Chapter 6 : Anora's Discovery

“Nick? Here!” Anora shouted back. “I was looking for your camp. I got lost. I got your letter! I have your book, wait there, and turn around.” Nick laid the tunic back down and covered his eyes.

“Anora, your parents will be worried! How long have you been here?” Anora tapped him on the arm and he turned around. She embraced him and squeezed tight.

“I left early this morning, they know where I am. Don’t worry; I have a sentinel with me somewhere. She’s out eating worms probably.” Nick laughed.

“That bird? I followed it for an hour talking madness! Oh she must think I’m daft. I didn’t realize it was a sentinel.” Nick looked to the skies for the bird.

“Oh don’t worry, she probably didn’t notice. She hasn’t shifted back yet, and I didn’t bother to ask why.” Anora embraced Nick again and they sat down on the beach. “Why are you out here? Where is your camp?” Anora began pulling out some bread from her satchel. Nick began devouring the bread and gave the motion to wait a minute. “When was your last meal? Don’t tell me you’re lost as well Nickadamus.” Anora laughed aloud and watched Nick lick his fingers.

“I’m on an exercise. Toulle vanished and I am to return to camp when I solve the riddle.” Nick took a second piece of bread and savored each bite again.

“What is the riddle? Perhaps I can help.” Anora moved to face Nick on the beach.

“The riddle is, how do I get back to camp using mediation to vanish, I think.” Nick picked the crumbs off his tunic and ate them.

“What does that have to do with potions and herbs?” Anora chuckled. “Or better yet, what did you do to inspire Toulle to lose you in a forest?” Nick tackled Anora and they rolled laughing. He stood up and went to the river for a drink. Anora joined him.

“I was failing a rune thorn spell. We were taught a simple spell to cloak the thorns so you may pick the flower without causing these.” Nick showed her his cuts on his fingers. “But I couldn’t perform it. So, he exiled me here.” Anora put her arm around him.

“Toulle would not exile anyone. You’re just upset. Did you start at the top of the tree and work your way down?” Anora glanced at Nick.

“Yes father, and I remembered to brush my teeth before bed as well.” Nick sighed and threw a stone into the river.

“I am sorry Nick. I am not trying to pester you, honest.” Anora picked up a silver stone and rubbed her fingers over the smooth surface. “I won’t help if you do not wish me to.” Nick held her hand.

“I’m sorry Anora. It’s been an interesting day, forgive me.” She reached into her satchel and pulled out the red leather book.

“Nick I’m concerned about giving this book to you.” He went to take it, and she pulled it back. “Wait, before you take this, let me explain.” Nick shot her a strange look and she stood up, putting the book on a nearby rock.

“At first, I returned to my keep and pulled out a few recipes I had written. I wanted to try something new and refreshing, to see how your mother would react. She didn’t approve of using huck juice to simmer vegetables in, and I felt rather defeated. I let her teach me the mundane recipes we have made for years at the great feasts.” Anora paced wringing her hands in excitement.

“I had brought some things with me to your keep. I had been staying late last month with Moraine. You know, the moonflowers only bloom at night and so we were gathering the blossoms and I meant to give the book to her, to get it to you. I knew your break would be coming up and that’s where you’d head first. Anyway, after the first night we harvested the moonflowers, Moraine wanted to have all of my recipes! The huck juice recipe and all of them! She began gathering the ingredients and asked me to continue writing more recipes! All of the experiments we tried were a great success.” Anora’s face lit up and Nick watched her pace faster. “When I was at home, I felt drained of energy. Tired. But at your keep, energetic and alive with ideas.” Anora glanced at the book.