Chapter 4 : The Great Feast

Nick awoke to shouts. “There you are Nick! They arrive!” Groggily, Nick sat up from the rock and looked around. He saw the magistrate helping the Voids set the long table in the center of town. Every villager worked with speed, some setting the table, some putting the finishing touches of their displays together. I have not yet read the book, there will be time, he thought.

The sun was waiting to set on the horizon as Nick dashed down the hill and into town. At the far end of the street behind merchant row was his keep. Nick went inside and called for his mother.

“There you are. Nickadamus, take these bowls out to the table.” Moraine did not look up from her slicing, instead she pointed to eight bowls filled with small rolls on a shelf. Nick stacked four wooden bowls in his arms and headed towards the center of town.

Two ladies were waiting for him it seemed, and removed the bowls from each arm. On cue, they swept away to the table further ahead and gracefully placed them on each segment. The great table was actually close to fifty smaller wooden tables pushed together with benches. A new table had been added at each end this year for the little ones to sit at. Upon each table was written with quill and ink, the names of the Exalts. Since the time of Negrad, each summer’s great feast had its tradition. It began with villagers bringing their own tables out into the main street of town for a feast. On this day, Nickadamus folded his arms and watched the Voids carry fruits and vegetables out to the table. He watched families haul in more tables from their sub villages around Nadall and before long; Nick could not see where the end of the great table actually was.

“Moraine needs you Nick, why don’t you bring the rest of the bowls? I will help.” A neighbor asked him while trying to guide him back to the keep. Nick’s head was swimming with thoughts. He had been to every feast since he was a small boy, but this feast was his own into a profession, one he had not yet chosen. A knot formed in his throat as he placed the last two bowls on the table. The neighbor put his hand on Nick’s shoulder and took in the view with him. Nick felt the warmth of his hand and turned to thank him. Feeling better, he went to look for Anora.

“Oh I’m so happy for you! Congratulations Nickadamus!” Anora’s parents met Nick at the door with smiles and handshakes. Nick began to feel elated as more and more people began to cheer behind him.

“Thank you. I hardly recall this much excitement at the other feasts.” Nick looked around in the doorway for Anora. The woman shook her head and glanced at her husband.

“Someday Nickadamus, you will not be so restless, and understand.” She called for Anora. Nick heard a voice reply and he went up the staircase to the second landing. Anora was brushing her long black hair and motioned for Nick to sit. He watched her as she braided and bound her locks.

“I have great news Anora! A new book arrived at the library. I have it here.” Nick took the book out from his satchel. “I have not had time to read it yet, but the most amazing vision came to me as I held it on my rock.” Anora turned in her chair to face him.

“Will you have time before you leave then? Or will you be taking it with you?” Nick averted her eyes and stared down at the red cover.

“Leave where Anora? Did Kurin talk to you today?” Nick rubbed his fingers over the leather and waited.

“I have not seen Kurin today. He is most likely bringing down the Wielders of the mountains. You should be bringing the Herbologists from the forests. Have you forgotten your tasks already? This book brings trouble before you have even opened the cover.” Anora turned around and fastened her braids to her head. “Although I understand if you wish to leave Nadall as well. You are truly not in harmony here, and it bothers me to see you so unhappy. I’m sure your parents will bless you, whichever decision you make tonight.” Anora turned and faced Nick with a smile.