━ eight.

CHAPTER EIGHT 

When Sydnee Reed arrived at the Sanctum Sanctorum( or was it Santum Santory? She didn't know ), she was ready for business. She'd walked down the streets of New York with a steely eye, not daring a single person to stop her for conversation as she held her sick child in her arms. Sydnee had one goal in mind, to make sure her kid was still alive when she held her in her arms going back to her small apartment. Walking quickly up the concrete stairs, she patted Kara on the back as she coughed loudly.

"It's okay baby." She said softly rubbing her back, and knocking on Stephen's door. She would never get used to the building. It was grandiose- more like an official government building, rather than a home for one man. Glass windows formed intricate designs on the body of the building, and auburn bricks provided a sturdy base for Stephen's home. She frowned to herself as she waited, he surely didn't live alone there did he? In a creaky old building that seemed older than time itself? Sydnee shook her head- it wasn't any of her business- she had larger priorities. The biggest of which is the one in her arms. The door finally opened after a few minutes, and a different man was at the door. He was short, stocky, and had a confused look on his face as he looked at Sydnee. She noticed he wore the same "garb" that Stephen wore , but in deep purple rather.

" Who are you?" His voice was curt, and his eyes held a certain urgency to them. His gaze flickered from Kara to her. A sigh came over the man, and he began to close the door.

As he closed the door, the man grunted:" Doctor Strange isn't an actual doctor- you can't come for him for when your child has a cold-"

Sydnee's eyes widened and began to protest when Stephen's voice arrived quickly from the background.

He jogged forward from the stairs that led down to the front door of the Sanctum, and with a flick of his hand opened the door for Sydnee. " It's okay Wong- she's not looking for a checkup- I know her." He beckoned her forward, and Sydnee was surprised he'd traded his get up from yesterday for a pair of jeans, a t-shirt with a sweater. He beckoned her forward with his hand, and Sydnee followed. She tightened her grip on Kara and walked towards him.

He gave her a friendly nod, "It's not the first time people have wanted medical advice from me," He furrowed his eyebrows " I'm a surgeon also which also doesn't make much sense."

" Does that mean you can't help Kara." Sydnee's voice took a serious tone. Kara let out a few coughs and gave a small cry. Sydnee brought her towards her face and smoothed her hair out from her face.

Sydnee frowned softly and planted a kiss on Kara's head. She softly rocked Kara, humming softly. " You okay baby?" Kara gave a small "yes" with a soft smile and buried her head in her mother's shoulder.