━ six.

CHAPTER SIX 

Sydnee was exhausted from her workday just the morning before and knew she needed a hot cup of coffee to compensate for the psychological trauma that she experienced. Who knew that several teenagers pestering her for glazed donuts caused her the equivalent of a panic attack. She clasped the container in her hands, gazing upon the coffee shop. Customer flow had returned to normal after yesterday, and only a few customers sat in the leather armchairs and wooden chairs scattered across the restaurant. Sydnee took a swig of coffee and looked at her nursing textbook. She had a test in a week, and she hadn't had time to study until six or seven days before. And she needed to cover twenty units. Lucky her. Her professor didn't seem to account for the fact that she had a life besides nursing school, and she despised him after hearing the assignment. She knew others in her class were probably going in study groups at the library, or organizing study dates at their respective houses. Not her- she probably didn't have any friends in that class. First, she was usually too busy to talk to other students, and second, Sydnee wasn't necessarily the partner type. She was a do-it-herself type of person and refrained from working with others. There was something comforting about having control over an entire scenario, and Sydnee perceived that comfort as normal.

Amari thought she was a control freak.

She wasn't a control freak- at least she didn't think so? Yes, she valued knowing what was happening in a given situation, but she didn't think that what she did wasn't normal. Didn't Stephen act like that also- she snorted quietly to herself- then again Stephen wasn't exactly what she considered to be "normal." Sydnee found it strange that even to this day, at least a year since she'd stopped working for him, she still thought of him.

Yeah well, he's the father of your kid so that makes sense.

Cringing at the thought, Sydnee took another swig of coffee. The lack of caffeine was getting to her head, so of course, she was having irrational thoughts like these. Her phone began to vibrate next to her, and Sydnee peered over to see who was calling her. The preschool. Weird. She set down her coffee and answered the call.

"Hello?" Sydnee frowned, wondering what was causing the ruckus.

" Hello, Mrs.Reed- this is Sharon Davis," Sharon Davis', the leader of the entire Preschool, had a painfully southern voice that  burst into her speakers. " I'm here to speak to you about Kar-ah."

" Did she hurt someone? Or throw a tantrum? All she needs is that-" Situations raced through Sydnee's head, and she spouted whatever came into her head to pinpoint the problem. But Sharon shushed her from the other end.

" Your child's sick. Gave her some Tylenol just an hour ago, but she's been in the bathroom nonstop and can't stomach any of her lunch. Also sweating like a pig in the summer." She murmured, and then continued. " Do you wanna pick her up in the next ten minutes or so? I think she needs a doctor's visit."

demon childˢᵗᵉᵖʰᵉⁿ ˢᵗʳᵃⁿᵍᵉOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara