━ five.

CHAPTER FIVE 

Slumber was a rare occurrence for Sydnee Reed, so she treasured each unconscious moment early to her heart. But without fail, each day she would have to wake up. Her morning routine did not differ too much from much older and younger than her; Sydnee scrolled aimlessly through her twitter feed and savored the small moments of silence until she retreated back into reality. As she shifted in her bed, small grunts were heard. Her hand palmed the sheets seeking out her phone. And when she retrieved it, she brought it out from her covers. Immediately the young woman was greeted with a series of texts, which she started to read.

The first text said the following:

Selena: wtf did u get the email- Idk how I'm getting into work.

Paul: umm what is wrong with corporate call me asap

There were eight other texts in varying degrees of urgency and emoticons, but the message was simple. Corporate messed up yet again, and Sydnee would be tasked with deciphering through the remains. Opening her inbox, Sydnee searched with increasing fear as she found the most recent message.

From: Randy'sco@gmail.com

To: sydneer@gmail.com

Subject: Corporate Donut Palooza!

Hello, Randy's Donut Manager!

I'm Jared Burns from Randy's Donut co. up in California! We are excited to announce to you our annual Donut Palooza! Customers will be able to buy a donut, and get one free- or with a donation to a conservation fund exceeding ten dollars, three donuts and a coffee free! Be prepared for a real Palooza!

If you have any questions, email corporate and we will try and get to you as quickly as possible.

Sydnee was used to being caught off guard ( hello- she'd worked for Stephen Strange for god's sake ), but she wasn't used to an annual palooza that she hadn't been alerted of, that drew crowds upon crowds. She looked at the time- it was five thirty am. The kitchen staff should have been cooking by now if they wanted to meet corporate's tight schedule, and from what she knew Selena wasn't showing up to work. Anger and anxiety started to bubble through her, and Sydnee pushed off her sheets to pace around her bedroom.

This would be a disaster. Step. I'm going to get fired. Step. jesus christ, why is corporate so freaking- you know what, calm down.step.

Of course, she realized that trudging around her room wouldn't do anything, and instead made her way towards the shower. She had approximately ten to fifteen minutes before she needed to be outside, and drop Kara off to preschool-wait.