Chapter 15: In Which Mr. Beaumont Displays Gallantry

Chapter 15

                           In Which Mr. Beaumont Displays Gallantry

        With a gasp, Miss Davis turned sharply around, and felt an equal measure of surprise and relief when she encountered the bewildered countenance of Mr Beaumont. “Why, it’s you, Mr Beaumont!” she exclaimed, “Good heavens, you nearly scared the life out of me!”

        “Do forgive me! It wasn’t my intention, and nothing in the world would compel me to do so, Miss Davis,” Mr Beaumont apologized handsomely, giving her a sheepish smile. “Though to be sure, it is a queer thing to see you in this spot, and alone.” He frowned at the last word. “Were you looking for someone?”

        Completely abashed, she threw a cursory glance towards the ruined temple, and wondered for a moment if the pair had already fled. “Well… No. I— I just thought I’ve seen a friend, but it turned out that I was mistaken,” she fibbed, and made a pretense of brushing the skirt of her pelisse.

        Mr. Beaumont accordingly accepted this with a nod. “I see. And may I ask why were you hiding behind the hedge?” he enquired politely enough, but there was a playful twinkle in his blue eyes. 

        Miss Davis grinned despite herself and was obliged to vouchsafe the truth. “The truth is, I’ve discovered something that I shouldn’t, or, at least I think I shouldn’t! And I’m sorry I cannot divulge it to you. You must think me ill-bred, prowling about in a place where I shouldn’t be, and what’s more getting into something which is completely not my concern!”

        “Not at all! Put it that way, I think you were having a singular adventure,” replied the young man sympathetically. “Although I venture to think that I know the nature of this, ah, discovery of yours.” Seeing her widened gaze, he added with a chuckle: “Why, Miss Davis, Vauxhall is a regular love nest— that’s hardly news! And having seen you spying on that ruined temple, well, that makes it plain as a pikestaff.”

        “Yes, now I know that!” she returned with a giggle. “But you see, this is only my first visit here, so I’m still green as a country bumpkin!” 

        He gave her a lopsided smile. “Oh, but alluringly green, Miss Davis, if I may say so!”

        “Thank you!” she blushed, “Though I’m sure my Aunt would have laughed to hear you say so because she always worry her head over me, you know, and that is not alluring at all!”

        “Well, I suppose that’s quite natural,” he said, and after a slight pause he swept his gaze about them. “You shouldn’t really wander about here without company. With too much merrymaking, some gentlemen here are inclined to, er, have their scruples entirely forgotten after a few quaffs, you know, and it would be very dangerous if you’d come across one of them.”

        “It would, I’m sure! Clearly I wasn’t very heedful, but I am glad that it’s you who’ve found me, and not one of those inebriates!”

        “Yes, quite fortunate indeed. Shall I escort you back to your friends now? Or,” he grinned impishly, “if you like, I can tour you further around. I’m sure you haven’t got your fill of Vauxhall yet, have you? Well, it stands to reason: that would certainly take you all night!”

        “That would be lovely, thank you!” Miss Davis readily acquiesced, but a shadow suddenly ebbed the eagerness on her face. “Although I daresay Mrs Sutherton and Julie must be worried that I’m not yet returned. They might be looking for me now, and… and— oh! Now I’ve done something really foolish tonight!”