Chapter 10: Particular Attentions

By the afternoon, the sky was devoid of any signs of downpour, and the sun was only peeking behind the puffy clouds. It was a promising weather for driving out, and Mr. Beaumont was extremely obliging by letting Caroline relish the distinction of riding on his magnificent curricle while engaging her in a most diverting conversation about his youthful follies and adventures that made her laugh several times more than one could count, and in return gave pleasure to the gentleman who appeared to be in an attempt to win a lady’s favour. This was indeed a propitious moment to form an attachment, and the scene Caroline and Mr. Beaumont depicted didn’t escape the notice of Miss Penningbrooke, who turned to her friend Lady Mathilda and remarked, “Famous! I daresay that young buck Beaumont is going to tie the knot with that black-haired nobody in no time. I wonder if Stokeford would ever squeak a word about the match!

        “Dear me, yes, he would! And an affirmative, I’m certain of it!” returned Lady Mathilda confidently. “Why, that black-haired chit is a cousin of Miss Winscott, who, as you may well know, is currently receiving particular attentions from Stokeford himself!”

          This piece of information made her companion taken aback, not because of the notion that Lord Stokeford was in the verge of declaring himself, but of the insignificant fact that she, a gossipmonger to a fault, had been quite ignorant of it until just now. “Oh, but I do not know that!” she exclaimed, a little dashed.

            “No, indeed? How very unlikely! Well, I daresay Stokeford will be tying the knot as well soon. It only leaves us to wonder who will be the first.”

               But whether or not Mr. Beaumont would follow suit of declaring himself was entirely too soon to contemplate, as he and Caroline were only relishing the friendship they gained in that particular moment.  When their conversation had taken a turn into the inevitable subject about Stefan, Caroline became a little somber, and her mind was once again perturbed by his stormy expression and cool regard to her that night at Almack’s. Mr. Beaumont, unaware of his companion’s discomfort towards the subject, continued to talk with such obvious delight about his dear cousin, of how they were very inseparable during their entire childhood, and how often they secretly sneaked out to swim in the creek near the Stokeford Manor whenever Mama permitted him to sojourn in his Uncle’s abode for a couple of days, and that they had once contrived to put a pinch of pepper on the snuff box of a certain gentleman odious enough to be remembered by his name, and a dozen other things that made Caroline forget her blues.    

              The entire drive was altogether agreeable for the both of them, and when time had elapsed into hours it was beginning to dark when Mr. Beaumont deposited Caroline into her home.

             “I had a jolly good time, Miss Davis,” confided Mr. Beaumont, smiling warmly at her. “I hope you’ll honor me your company again the next time I ride out.”

                 This invitation was too difficult for Caroline to resist, as she had an equally jolly good time being in his company, and thus graciously accepted this with eagerness. “Thank you, sir! That will be very lovely, indeed. I will certainly look forward to that.” Mr. Beaumont bid her good night, but not before long when their gazes momentarily met, and when she felt like melting then and there had Sophie but appeared from her behind, saying in loud and cheery tones which deliberately broke the spell, “Good evening, Mr. Beaumont! I see that you’ve both returned. Have you had a wonderful drive out?”

             “Indeed, we had, and on the account of Miss Davis being an exceptional company, no doubt,” the gentleman replied appraisingly. “She confided her desire to learn how to drive the curricle, and I am happy to say that it will definitely be my pleasure to teach her.”