Chapter 2: When the First Encounter is Something Out of Ordinary

London was not half as impressive as Miss Caroline Davis had thought it to be.

      While the Metropolis certainly offered her entertainments quite unlike the banal ones in the country, she found it excessively bustling, and the people prissy and remarkably exacting. It stood to reason that, for a young lady reared in the comfort of countryside for seventeen odd years, and hardly traveled away from home, she found London equally fascinating and unnerving. 

        But as a girl just out of schoolroom, her naivete had, for more than one occasion, made her the object of Aunt Emilia’s disquietude, and the amusement of  Cousin Sophie. In one instance, she had sauntered the length of Bruton Street alone, blissfully unaware of the consequence for a Young Lady who ventured outdoors with no Abigail in tow. Mrs Winscott was horrified when, upon returning home from an engagement, she was met with intelligence that her errant niece was nowhere in the premise, and gave the poor maid an earful dressing-down for the negligence of her duty. 

         This slip on Miss Davis’ part wouldn’t be the last.

        For the weeks that had followed though, the likelihood of her committing a solecism had only became unwarranted fears of Mrs. Winscott. Perhaps it was due to the influence of a few decorous young ladies whom she had constantly met at soirees and balls, and had eventually befriended her. To be sure, Caroline had never met so many people in her life! There was the adorable Miss Lorrington, and the painfully shy Julie Sutherton (with whom she became fast-friends), and the elegant though slightly haughty Miss Leticia Debery, and the silly Mr. Melton who was head over heels for dear Sophie, and more that she could hardly remember their names and titles in one night!

        Although the company seemed agreeable enough, there were times when she found them less appealing. Miss Davis had a fair share of gossips, but it did somewhat astonish her that behind the demure, why,  ton ladies were certainly a coven of magpies! 

     And there were these gentlemen with whom she’d developed an acute dislike for all their pontificating and flaunting airs. “Regular coxcombs, m’dear,” one of Aunt Amelia’s friends had confided to her. “London’s overgrown with them! It may be fashionable to appear like that, but I strongly abhor dandyism, and so I deem it an eye sore! And several might appear decent and—well, gentlemanly, but don’t be deceived! Sly creatures, the lot them!” The old lady added warningly that some of ‘em were in the habit of taking liberties with ladies hailed from the country. Miss Davis only nodded her assent and expressed her appreciation for the kind warning, but had dismissed the thought as soon as a more interesting topic was introduced.

        But she should’ve been more heedful to the whispers of the worldly and wise! As it happened, Miss Davis found herself presently in a situation where Lord Anthony Randwick was trying to enfold her between his bony arms, while she was fighting against his every attempt these several minutes past.

         “Let me go!” Miss Davis squirmed violently until the top of her head hit the repulsive gentleman’s jaw with a soft cluck. 

        “But Miss Davis!” pursued Lord Randwick fervently, injured jaw notwithstanding, “You already have my heart! Please accept my love!”

        “No!” For the first time in the entire evening, Caroline finally took the liberty to roll her eyes. “Oh, for heaven’s sake, sir! I daresay you barely know the meaning of the word! Oblige me to stop this nonsense at once, and let. Me. Go!” Flattening her gloved palms on his chest and gathering some strength on her arms, she finally shoved him away. This feat resulted to only a few paces away; he might be as thin as an unfed crow, but he was overwhelmingly strong.