28. Bad Timing

Tuffnut hugged Endeavor back, feeling emotions well up inside of him like never before. He pulled his head back and looked into Endeavor captivating ocean blue eyes. A rare look of seriousness crossed his face. Still holding onto her, he told her in a sweet yet firm voice, "you'll figure this out. And we'll help you. I promise."

Endeavor was stunned by this new expression on his face. They both hesitated for a moment. Then, Tuff did what he'd been anticipating since the night they escaped The Isle of Loki. Without warning, he leaned forward and pressed his lips to Endeavor's.

Fireworks went off in the twin's heart and soul. He felt as if a connection had been made, deepening their relationship. He closed his eyes, letting his heart take control. But it was only he who felt this. After a couple of seconds, Endeavor tore herself from his grasp. When Tuff opened his eyes, he found her staring at him with a mixed look of anger, sadness, and confusion.

"What the hell?" She shouted, a little more harshly than intended. When Tuffnut flinched back, heartbreak written all over his face, she sighed, holding her temples. Calming her tone, Endeavor explained, "Tuffnut, you can't just kiss me like that."

"I-I'm sorry, I didn't...I wasn't....." He trailed off. His face was blood red and posture slouched in shame.

Endeavor took a deep breath and met his eyes again. "It's okay, just..." She growled, unsure what she was trying to say. "I like you, Tuff, okay? I do," she insisted, frowning in seriousness, "but this is not the time. I have much bigger things to deal with right now. I need to figure out how I'm going to save the entire world from myself." She sighed again in frustration, turning away from the broken boy. "You guys shouldn't have come looking for me. This is something I need to do on my own."

Tuff tried to swallow his emotions for the time being. He stopped Endeavor from walking away, putting a hand on her shoulder. "Endeavor, wait, please," he begged, "I'm sorry, I really am. But let us help you. I know that this is something you should do alone, but even if we could just stay with you, we could be emotional support.."

Endeavor thought for a long time. Finally, she turned back to face him. Confliction flodded her eyes. "..Okay," she agreed, though sounded somewhat reluctant. Then, she walked away again. This time, Tuff didn't try to stop her. He felt his heart weight down heavily in his chest. He wasn't sure what to feel. Endeavor had very blatantly rejected him, yet she also confessed that she liked him.

But one thing was clear; she couldn't have felt for him what he felt so strongly for her. Because if she did, there wouldn't have been such anger in her voice. Little did he know that the anger she felt was not for him, but for herself. For falling for someone mortal, when she apparently wasn't. For allowing emotions to sprout in her heart cloud her logic.

Endeavor wished that she'd never met the dragon riders. Not because she hated them, but because of how she'd grown to love each one of them. She wished she'd never met them because she knew that she could only ever cause them harm. But, that's exactly why she was going to figure out her power; she needed to find a way to control it. Then, maybe meeting these Vikings wouldn't seem like such a mistake.

Not long after leaving Tuff, she felt a presence surround her. It felt as if eyes were watching her. Endeavor knew this feeling. However, she ignored it for a while, making her way through the woods to nowhere inparticular. But after a lingering suspence, she stopped and leaned against a tree trunk to rest her feet.

"Are you going to say anything?" She asked in annoyance, "or are you too busy intruding my thoughts?"

Harsh, Loki's voice echoed in her head, I would advise you to calm down. You're anger is fueling what you call your 'chaos'.

Endeavor closed her eyes and tried to relax her mind. Once she'd calmed herself a bit, she spoke again. "I need you to teach me how to control this," she stated.

Your emotions? Or your power? Her father asked, a hint of amusement in his voice.

"You're making fun of me now?" Endeavor asked in frustration.

Not at all, Loki assured, I am making fun with you. Endeavor rolled her eyes and ran her hands through her hair in stress. You power cannot be controlled. As you grow, so does it. It always will, until you die.

Endeavor felt her heart clench. "There has to be something I can do," she muttered.

There was a pause, only the sounds of crickets to alleviate the tense silence. You could always return to The Isle, Loki suggested, it is no Asgard, but you could shape it as your kingdom..we could remake it together.

Again, Endeavor's heart stung. She didn't reply. Ah, but that would mean leaving behind the Viking's you've come to love, her father observed.

"I don't love them," Endeavor argued half-heartedly, "I don't even like most of them. I tolerated them."

You're lying to yourself, child, Loki pointed out. Again, no reply. There was a long silence. Endeavor watched the gentle wind move the tall grasses around her. The sun is rising, her father finally spoke again, perhaps you should speak to those Vikings. They may be able to help, yet.