6. Speed Shifter

Snotlout and Tuffnut stared in horror at the monster before them. It was the easily ten times their size, standing nine feet tall on six thick legs. Forest green leaves covered it's being like fur, and it's snout was uncannily long. Over all, it looked like some sort of mutated wolf. It glanced at them, black eyes glinting with chaos, a low growl in the back of it's throat.

⇧ like this but more terrifying ⇧

It stood from where it was laying and bared it's teeth at the two boys, sending them running and screaming in the opposite direction. As Tuff began to stray from Snotlout, the shorter Viking shouted, "no! Stay with me! We can't split up!"

Tuff quickly fell in pace right beside Snotlout. The green wolf snapped at them from behind, barking viciously as it clawed the ground in chase. But soon, the two boys were trapped against the stone wall. As the wolf closed in, Snotlout banged on the wall in frustration shouting, "oh come on! We could really use some stairs right now!"

The wolf glared at them, it's sharp teeth growling closer at an agonizingly slow rate. Snotlout and Tuff pressed their backs against the wall, anticipating the pain to come.

Before the wolf could strike, however, something else shot out of the jungle. Although it was considerably smaller than the beast, it knocked the wolf onto it's side in the blink of an eye. All the boys saw was a flash of white before the smaller creature disappeared into the forest with the wolf. There was a sound of snarling from the wolf, mixed with some sort of high pitched screeching from the other creature. The sounds of fighting stopped with an unsettling cracking noise, then silence.

Tuffnut and Snotlout exchanged a look of mixed terror and curiosity. But before anything could be said, the smaller creature hopped out of the cover of the trees. To their surprise, it was a speed stinger, but unlike one they'd ever seen before. It was slightly bigger, and all of it's features were much sharper. It's shortest teeth were thee inches long and needle-like, while it's longest were almost a nine. Instead of sea green, it's scales were white, and the eyes were a ocean blue rather than the usual crimson color. And to top it all off, it had three stinger tails, like a triple strike.

⇧ Art credit to Yoshi5138 !⇧Thank you again for this beautiful visual!!!

Thank you again for this beautiful visual!!!

The speed stinger turned to the boys and gurgled as it approached them slowly. Snotlout squeezed his eyes shut when the dragon screeched. However, it didn't seem to want to attack them. The dragon sniffed at Snotlout, then moved to sniff Tuffnut.

Tuff held his hands up in defense, but this only prompted the stinger to growl. "Uh, nice dragon," Tuff spoke nervously.

At this, the dragon jumped back in surprise, as if it wasn't expecting the humans to speak. It squawked once, pupils dilating. Both boys exchanged curious looks before relaxing a bit. "Quick, do the hand thing," Snotlout urged Tuff in a whisper.

"What? Why me?" Tuffnut whispered back, "you do it."

"No, I like having two hands," Snotlout argued just as quietly.

The speed stinger cocked it's head to the side, watching the two bicker. But before they came to a decision, the dragons screeched again. It was a deafening sound, causing both boys to cover their ears and turn away. But when the noise stopped, they looked back to find that the dragon was gone. In it's place stood a young woman who looked to be about their age.

"Woah..." Tuffnut breathed in awe, admiring the beauty before him. He'd never been too interested in finding love before, but that changed in the blink of an eye.

She was as tall as him and lean, with ocean blue eyes that dropped downward toward her ears

She was as tall as him and lean, with ocean blue eyes that dropped downward toward her ears. Powder blue hair fell over her shoulders like a mystical waterfall; it was something neither boy had ever seen before. And her armor was graceful, as if it had been hand made by the gods. The cream and gold colors complimented her peachy skin with perfect harmony.

"Apologies for how we had to meet," the woman spoke in a slightly suspicious voice, "it's difficult to tell who's still human here."

Heavy silence hung in the air for only a moment before Snotlout shook his head visiously and shouted, "WHAT?! What is going on?!"

The girl approached them again and observed, "you must've just arrived."

When her eyes caught Tuffnut's gaze, he felt his heart jump. "Who are you?" He asked, his voice coming off as dreamy.

The woman looked around at the surrounding greenery as she answered, "I was once a prisoner as you. But I rose to become the keeper of this land."

"But you--were you--that--and the wolf--" Snotlout stuttered out, trying to wrap his head around the situation.

Holding out her arm, the woman pointed to a patch of white scales that replaced her skin. This confirmed what Snotlout had feared; this woman was some sort of dragon shape-shifter. He was speechless. "You should stay with me, if you'd like to live," she suggested, "this island isn't kind to newcomers."