25. Finding Self

Hiccup lowered his sword as well, but kept it in hand. "Endeavor," he began slowly, "we know what you are."

Endeavor's heart leapt; how did these Vikings know, when not even she did? She remained cool, throwing an arm around each twins' shoulders. "That so?" She began, stopping to think for a moment. Then, she shook her head and finished, "sorry, I'm not interested."

Everyone was taken by surprise. But Endeavor had her reasoning. The voice had told her that she would find out when she was ready. And frankly, Endeavor wasn't sure she was ready. Being back in the real world again, and finding out that some higher creature had had eyes on her for her whole life, was already too much to take in. And it scared her to think that she might never have been human to start with.

"Endeavor," Tuff began, pulling out from under her arm. He gave her a frown. "You need to know, it's kinda important."

Endeavor sighed, feeling her cockiness weaken under Tuffnut's concerned gaze. "Listen, things are happening right now," her tone became serious as she explained to the six dragon riders, "and I don't need more stress on my shoulders."

"This isn't just about you, though," Snotlout piped in, "the whole archipelago could be in danger."

"Snotlout's right," Hiccup added. "I know you can't see it up close, because of this shield that surrounds you," he went on, taking a step closer to Endeavor, "but your exsistance is causing disaster, everywhere you go."

Endeavor felt her breath hitch in her throat; this wasn't the first time she'd heard these words. For a moment, her eyes betrayed her emotion. She turned away from the six and spoke defensively, "let me find myself on my own." After a short pause, she added more calmly, "if I don't know in three days..you may tell me."

You trust a stranger in you head over these friendly humans... The voice was suddenly back, remarking in surprised at Endeavor's decision.

"Be quiet," she growled.

However, the riders heard this and assumed she was talking to them. "Do you hear something?" Ruff asked in a whisper.

Endeavor gave her a look, hesitated, and quickly recovered. "I thought I did," she replied in a smooth cover up, "it's nothing."

Laughing rang in her mind. You're friends amuse me, he told her, they were worthy of having escaped with you.

Endeavor ignored this and began to talk to the riders. "Stay here, if you'd like," she offered, "night will fall soon, you should rest."

...You care for them, the voice muttered, getting on her nerves. Even the frustrating three-limbed one.....I must say that I hadn't expected that.

Later, Endeavor thought to him, hoping he would hear that and back off.

To her surprise, the voice replied. Later...of course, darling.

• • •

Endeavor found herself on an island of flames. Red and orange rose around her in tendrils of heat. Then, a flash of blue. She recognized it immediately as her hair. Confused, and panicked, she chased after the blue. But she stopped when she recognized the island. This was once her home.

Looking around, she saw old friends rushing around with buckets of water, trying to put the fires out. She knew now, that she was watching a memory. Endeavor's eyes landed on herself, many yards away. She approached somewhat quickly.

"BRENNA!" A low male voice boomed. Endeavor watched sadly as the memory of herself jump in fear, whipping around to look at a tall beefy man. Her father. "What have you done?!" He demanded.

"I was only stoking the fire in our fireplace!" The younger memory-Endeavor explained desperately, "i-it spread out of nowhere--"

"Enough," her father growled, grabbing a fist-full of her hair. He began to drag her out of the burning village to safety, yelling all the way. "Do you not understand that you can't do things like 'stoke the fire'? I've given you rules for a reason! Everywhere you go, disaster follows!"

The scene twisted when Endeavor blinked, and suddenly, there was no more fire. Everything was peaceful and quiet. She found an even younger version of herself sitting by a river, playing in the water with a stick. Peering over the memory's shoulder, she found numerous fish crowded at the riverbank, staring at the younger Endeavor.

"Not today, Flimsy," she said, shaking her head, "you got to fly yesterday."

Endeavor watched in awe as one fish with a whispy tail, Flimsy, swam away in disappointment. She couldn't recall this memory as clearly as the last, probably because it happened when she was only eleven years old.

So disbelief struck her as she watched her younger self hold a hand over the water. "Hmm...okay, Gill," she confirmed in joy. Then, the water bubbled. Out of the river popped a sphere of water, and inside was Gill.

"Brenna, it's time for supper!" A woman's voice rang in the distance.

"Coming, Mama!" Endeavor's memory shouted back. Immediately, the water bubble popped. Gill flopped back into the river as the young girl raced home.

Already, Endeavor was beginning to realize that something was going on. She knew she was dreaming, but this was happening for a reason. Her heart raced as she looked down into the river. The fish were minding their own business again.