[21] cruisin' for a bruisin'

'Hey - all you sweaty boys, check it out. We're here!'

Ciara and I grinned at eachother, nodding out the window at the club rising up in front of the car. Once Ashton, Calum and I had finally found Michael (talking to Feldy outside) and Luke and Ciara (kissing in the disabled toilet), the guys had told me to choose a good place for them to go and party for the night. Ciara had agreed with me - the Star Night Club was definitely our destination for tonight.

I turned back and glanced at Ashton. He was staring in awe up at the building, the neon lights from the club reflected off his face, making it glow softly in the dark. Slowly his eyes turned to me, alight with excitement, and a grin lit up his face. Beside him, Calum was almost shaking with the idea of getting to dance and drink for the rest of the night, and Michael looked the same. Luke was biting his lip nervously, but I could tell he couldn't wait to get inside. Ciara grinned at me again.

'Why are we still sitting in here then? Come on - let's go!'

We bundled out of the car and stood together on the pavement, looking up at the tall building. From inside we could hear laughing and music - it vibrated through the night air and sent shivers down my spine. Ashton put his arm around my shoulder, pulling me closer, and I looked up at him cheekily.

'You ready for this?'

He grinned back and tilted his head higher.

'As I'll ever be, Emma. Let's do this thing.'

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I sat in a dark corner booth just off the edge of the dancefloor with a lemon, lime and bitters in front of me, perched on a damp coaster. The night was speeding by and it was coming close to midnight. Luke and Ciara were huddled up at a nearby table, and I could see Luke trying to stop Ciara drinking too much. I giggled. He was definitely the most responsible of the guys, because I'd already watched Calum down about 6 shots in a row, and now he'd disappeared completely. Michael was missing too, but I'd seen him talking to a few guys earlier, and I assumed he'd met some friends. And Ashton? Ashton was dancing, I could see him from where I was, breaking out the moves to some DJ's tunes. He was a little drunk, but not too badly, and it looked like he was having fun. No one had recognised him yet, but he was certainly attracting the attention of most of the girls in the club. From where I was sitting, it was easy to see why. Every time I looked at him, I couldn't stop smiling, and I didn't like it. I wasn't meant to be attracted to Ashton. We had an agreement, and I definitely wasn't going to be the first one to give in.

A blonde chick dressed in a skimpy little singlet and short skirt sidled up to him and draped her arm around his shoulder casually. Oh, yuck. Put some clothes on? I thought Ashton would push her away, but my jaw dropped when I saw him smile widely at her and put his hands on her waist, and then lean into her slightly. Her blonde hair was falling all over his shoulders. I turned away. It was none of my business. It was his night and he could do whatever he wanted to. Why did I even feel bothered?

You-u-u like Ash-t-t-t-on, a little voice sung in my mind, and I shook my head angrily. I didn't. That was stupid, and pointless and completely against the rules. But when I glanced back over and saw the girl leaning in to Ashton's face, I had to look away quickly to stop the sinking feeling I felt in my stomach.

'Hey - can I get you a drink?'

I looked up, another voice pulling me from my thoughts. A young guy about my age was standing in front of me, looking concerned. He was cute, I decided, with short black hair, blue eyes and a light band of freckles across his nose. When I didn't answer for a second, he tried again.