[20] family reunions

The door banged open so hard against the Green Room wall that I was sure it left a dent there - but I didn’t have time to check, because suddenly, the room filled with people, flooding in from the corridor. At the front of the group was a stout blonde lady with a pretty face and bright blue eyes that looked very, very familiar.

‘Luke!!!’

She tackled Luke in a hug, and he buried his face into her hair, towering over here.

‘Oh my god, Mum -- I’ve missed you so much.’

Awww.

I crossed the room to join Ciara as the rest of the boys’ families came into the room. Michael was practically choking his Mum in a bear hug, and she was rubbing his hair lovingly, eyes closed. Calum stood with one arm around his Dad’s shoulder and one hand in his Mum’s, chatting animatedly to them (I noticed how much Mali-Koa looked like their mother) and Luke had now disappeared in the middle of a family group hug with his brothers and parents, only the tip of his quiff visible. I turned around to see where Ashton had gotten to and almost melted into a puddle on the floor.

He had a little boy on his shoulders and a younger girl was hugging his spare arm, smiling up at him admirably. An older lady was wiping at her eyes discreetly, but as I watched, Ashton noticed and leant down, kissing her on the cheek. She wrapped her arms around him and he hugged her back before lifting his arms up and dropping his brother back to the floor. All of a sudden, he looked up, straight at me. Before I could glance away, he caught my eye and smiled. I blushed as he knelt back down and said something to his brother and sister, who both looked over at me with interest before turning back to Ashton. The girl nodded, and Ashton caught my gaze again, grinning now. Unsure of how to react, I lamely poked my tongue out at him, embarrassed, before turning back to Ciara.

‘Ashton’s telling his family bad stuff about me,’ I whispered.

She distractedly shook her head, waving at Luke who had finally emerged from the midst of the Hemmings’ hug and was motioning her over.

‘Em, I bet you 100% he was saying good things. It’s more like, oh yeah - I’d like to get in that girl’s pants rather than that’s the girl I hate, if you get what I mean. Hold on, Luke needs me...’

With that she left, leaving me all alone and walking off to join Luke’s family.

‘Yeah, I bet he does,’ I muttered, sighing.

Suddenly, someone tugged on my jeans and I looked down. Ashton’s little brother was gazing up at me, his curly hair falling into his face. Unlike Ashton, his hair was a shade lighter, his face rounder and a band of freckles ran straight across his nose and cheeks. Unfortunately, his eyes were identical to his older brother’s - as soon as I looked down, I felt myself melting into them.

‘Are you Emma?’

I nodded and crouched down as far as my pants would allow me to.

‘What’s your name?’

He gave me a toothy grin and answered very matter-of-factly.

‘I’m Harry, and I’m 7.’

‘Hi Harry. Are you Ashton’s little brother?’

He nodded, curls bobbing.

‘Uhuh. Are you my brother’s giiiiiiiirlfriend?

Harry gave me a cheeky smile and I couldn’t help laughing.

‘No, I’m not his girlfriend. We’re just, um, friends.’

‘Are you in looooooove?’

Undeterred by my last answer, he giggled and gazed up at me, eyes shining. Oh my god - he’s just like a mini Ashton. Before I could answer, he dashed off back to his Mum, who gave me a knowing smile. I straightened up awkwardly not knowing what to do, so I just smiled back.