Chapter 12 - Liz

Chapter 12 - Liz

I wake up to the sound of knocking, and my mom yelling at me about that knocking.

"Liz!" she yells, even though she's right next to me. I groan. "There's a boy here for you!"

I roll over, smashing a pillow over my head. "You're lying to me, mom," I grumble. "There's no one here for me."

"Get out of bed, Liz," my mom says flatly, throwing my covers off me. I let out another loud groan. "You're making him wait."

"Making who wait? What kind of boy would wait on me this early in the morning?" I argue. It's a strong argument, I think, and I know my mom must be lying to me. She was the one knocking, not this imaginary boy she's trying to make up to get me out of bed.

"This kind of boy," a new voice interjects. I recognize it right away.

It's Garrett.

I don't know what to do. My first instinct is to curl up and tangle myself in my comforter, but my mom took it away. My second instinct is to wish that the Earth would open up and swallow me whole.

Sometimes, I can't always get what I want.

Tentatively, I remove the pillow from over my head. I sit up in bed, avoiding eye contact with both Garrett and my mom.

Staring at my hands in my lap, I say, "Why are you here?"

"We're going to the park," Garrett says matter-of-factly. My eyes widen, and I look up at him. He's the only one here now; my mom left us to our own devices. I wince.

"Why?"

"Because," Garrett says nonchalantly. I nod slowly, waiting for him to finish, raising my eyebrows. Garrett adopts an uncomfortable expression, so he turns to look around at my room.

"Wait, wait, wait," I say. "You're telling me you want to go to the park with me, 'because'?"

"Yeah, I dunno," Garrett mumbles. "I woke up too early today, and I'm bored. You're the first person I thought of."

"What about Brandon?" I press. "Or Grant? Or some other friend of yours?"

"Well geez, if you don't wanna go, then don't," Garrett deadpans.

He shrugs and turns to leave my room, but I scramble out of my bed to stop him. I tug on the back of his shirt, and he makes this choking noise. Scared that I hurt him, I cover my mouth. Garrett turns around to me, rubbing his neck, with a confused expression on his face. His eyebrows furrow over his blue eyes.

"I do want to go!" I say, a little too excitedly. The corners of Garrett's lips twitch into a smirk. I clear my throat, toning down my enthusiasm. "Just let me get ready," I add quietly.

Five minutes later, I'm sitting in Garrett's old car, adjusting the AC vents, on the way to the park.

"So," I say conversationally, "why did you - "

Garrett cuts me off. "Let's turn on the radio."

I scoff. "Rude, much?"

"I already told you why I want to go to the park," Garrett says. He sounds a little defensive. I frown.

"I wasn't gonna ask that," I retort. "I was gonna ask why you asked me."

"Oh. Well. Because," he replies. I roll my eyes.

"Fantastic," I say sarcastically. "Really gives me insight to your reasoning."

"Wow, you're capable of being sarcastic? That's insane," Garrett says, smiling crookedly. He even sends an amused glance my way. "I'm proud."