Chapter 11 - Garrett

After about half an hour of just being tired and sitting on the curb, complaining about being stuck, we realize that both of us have cellphones. So I call a tow truck.

We end up waiting nearly an hour for the stupid tow truck to get to us. When the rickety old truck pulls up to the curb, I practically jump to my feet, excited but pissed. I'm ready to tell off the driver, but then I see who it is stepping out of the vehicle.

"Holy hell," Brandon says, slamming the truck door shut. He pats down on my shoulder and shakes it, laughing a little. "It's Garrett!"

I laugh along with him, pushing him off of me. "Someone's got an income," I say. Brandon grins at me.

"Shit yeah!" I make a face at his weird exclamation. "I've gotta pay for my instruments somehow."

"Instruments? You've gotta invite me over sometime," I tell him. He nods enthusiastically. He's about to say something, but then someone clears her throat behind us.

"Oh yeah," I say, as if I'm just remembering Liz is there, "I'm not the only one stranded."

Brandon adjusts his hat, which has the tow truck company's logo on it. He catches sight of Liz and raises an arm to her and smiles. She waves back hesitantly.

"'Sup Liz," he says coolly.

Liz giggles a bit, standing up off the curb. She dusts off her hands, looking a little nervous. "Hey, Brandon."

Brandon chuckles, ruffling Liz's hair. Her expression turns to shock for a second, but then she quickly plaster's her million dollar smile on her face. I shake my head to myself.

Why is Liz so nervous?

"Welp," Brandon says, clapping his hands together, "let's get going."

Brandon rounds the hood of the truck and scoots into the driver's seat. I glance over at Liz, and I see she's watching him, almost longingly. I can't help the smirk that makes its way onto my face as realization dawns on me.

"Someone's still got a crush, eh?" I whisper teasingly, nudging her with my elbow. She whips around in surprise, letting out a squeak. I get into the passenger's seat before she can even reply.

"'Still'?! How do you - gah!" she cries. I bite my tongue.

This'll be a fun ride home.

~~~

"Wow, you guys are practically neighbors," Brandon says when he unhooks my Chevy. I nod.

"Yup, thanks for the ride," I say, slapping hands with Brandon. He smiles at me as I get out of the car, followed by Liz.

"Bye Liz," Brandon says. Liz smiles shyly and waves back.

"See you later," she says quietly.

Brandon drives away in his tow truck, and I look up at the sky, noticing it's already dark. I lower my gaze and look at Liz, who's biting her lip as she watches the tow truck drive away.

"You know," I say nonchalantly, "you could be a little more obvious if you really try."

Liz scoffs, tugging on her sweater sleeves. "What? I don't know what you're talking about." I laugh.

"Come on, Liz. Brandon told me," I say, without thinking. I don't think it'd matter much if she knew Brandon told me about her freshman year confession. "You still like him."

Liz huffs and crosses her arms. "I don't," she says stubbornly. I take a few steps closer to her.

I tap the bottom of her chin so she looks up at me. She's blushing. I grin.