Chapter 5 - Garrett

Chapter 5 - Garrett

No. No. No.

Me and her - she and I - we're not -

" - compatible!" Liz protests, finishing my thoughts. She's out of her seat, waving her hands around, frantically trying to convince Ms. Fenley that we're not compatible.

Because we most definitely are not.

"She's right, Ms. Fenley," I say. I get out of my seat and walk towards her. "We're not compatible."

Liz's eyes flicker over to me, and they narrow slightly. Then she flails her arms wildly, gesturing to me. "See?! He thinks so, too!" she exclaims. I wince, shooting her a look. God, she's loud.

Ms. Fenley laughs; her voice sounds more obnoxious now than soothing. I grimace.

"You two just like the same music, that's all," she explains. "I'm not pairing you up to have children; I'm not certifiably insane."

I rub my forehead. Okay, so maybe Ms. Fenley isn't insane. Maybe I'm just insane. It's possible I'm overreacting. I mean, this is probably only for a day. It can't be that bad.

I glance over at Liz, who's still arguing relentlessly. Her eyebrows are furrowed together, her hazel eyes narrowed, the sides of her mouth turned down. Her hands are moving all over the place, as if flailing would somehow help her argument. She really doesn't want me as a partner. Not that I want her as a partner, either.

Ms. Fenley just cups her chin, probably trying not to laugh. She probably didn't expect this from someone like Liz.

And then it hits me.

"Holy shit," I mutter. "She's mad."

Just like that, I have evidence. I have proof. No one's happy all the time. She's a fake. It's true.

Liz's arms suddenly drop limply to her sides. She cocks her head at me, her face twisting in confusion. "What? Did you say something?" she asks. I shake my head, biting my lip to keep from laughing.

"Nope. Not a word," I say. I can't help it. An amused grin slips right onto my face. Liz's expression goes blank, and her eyes widen. She knows. And the look on her face, it's priceless. It's a mixture of horror and realization and just oh crap I'm caught red-handed.

"Actually, on second thought," Liz says, suddenly grinning and turning to Ms. Fenley, "ignore what I said. Garrett and I... we're so compatible. I can feel it. It's just, wow. I can feel it in the air."

Ms. Fenley looks a little caught off guard, but she nods anyway. Her lips form a small smile as she hands us back our scraps of paper. I look down at mine, completely disbelieving that my messy scrawl can say the same thing as Liz's probably perfect handwriting.

"Now, now, go back to your seats. There's more to this," Ms. Fenley announces.

I start walking back to my seat, all the way in the back, and I hear Liz groan behind me. It's really quiet. Almost like a cat purring or something. Except, you know, not in a good way.

I slide into my seat and cross my hands on my desk. Liz stands next to the desk, staring at me. I ignore her for a bit, just to get on her nerves. She just keeps on staring at me, not saying a word. I smirk slightly.

"Ahem."

I look up, pretending as if I just notice Liz is there. I even gasp for effect. Her eyes narrow, but she catches herself and forces a smile.

"Where do I sit?" she asks sweetly. Internally, I cringe. Her voice is a sick kind of sweet. I give her a flat look.

"In a chair, where else?" I deadpan. I see Liz's jaw clench, but she's still smiling.