Chapter 3 - Garrett

Chapter 3 - Garrett

The next two periods go by pretty quickly. A bunch of people try talking to me, but I'm not really inclined to talk back. I'm too tired.

So far, I've only decided to talk to about three people in total: a sophomore in my art class named Becca, a junior in my AP Lit class named Rob, and that overly friendly girl, who apparently is in more than half of my classes.

Oh, joy.

Not that she isn't amusing as hell, because she is. I mean, what kind of girl tells a guy she likes him right off the bat? I know it isn't romantic like or anything, but wow. It's unheard of.

Either way, I still have no idea what her name is, even though she's the one I've talked to the most so far. Which is really saying something, because she completely ignores me for the rest of our classes together.

That's fine by me, considering I think she's a complete fake.

"Hey everyone!" a bright voice says from the front of the class. I have to hold back a laugh.

Speak of the devil.

I'm sitting all the way in the back, and it's a sure-fire way that she won't sit next to me. She's the kind of student who needs to sit at the front of the class.

While she's standing up and holding a conversation with practically the entire class at the same time, I look her over. She's really scrawny and petite, and I would say it's mouse-like, but it really isn't. Her hair's an auburn sort of color, which barely looks natural. And her face, well, it's cute. When I saw her up close earlier, I noticed she has these freckles sprayed across the bridge of her nose, and these big, hazel doe eyes. I guess it kind of fits her personality, even if it is completely fake.

I look down at my hands on my desk, which are folded, but still kind of fidgety. I've always been fidgety. I've never been able to keep completely still. I watch my thumbs twiddle, trying to get them to stop. But once they do, my foot starts tapping. So I let my thumbs twiddle as freely as they like.

I guess I'm staring at my hands pretty intensely, because someone says next to me, "Some nice hands you got there."

I look up and over to the person. It's a guy, more specifically, a tiny guy. His glasses look like they're going to devour his face.

"Uh, thanks," I reply. I really don't know what to say. Like I mentioned before, I'm not really in a talkative mood at the moment.

"I bet it takes work to get great hands like that," he continues, sounding as if he has some sort of attraction to my hands. He places his hand on his cheek, sighing wistfully. "If only I could just hold one - "

"Hi Grant," a voice interrupts. I don't even have to look up to know who it is.

For once, I'm glad she decides to pop up. My hand was in danger of getting raped.

"Hey Liz!" Grant replies brightly. He's even cheerier than the girl, who apparently, is named Liz. "How are ya?"

Liz chuckles, her freckly nose wrinkling a bit. "I'm great, you know, like always. You?" She flashes a grin at Grant. Looks a little forced to me.

Grant laughs good-naturedly. He sounds real, like he's genuinely "great".

"I'm okay, just creeping out the new kid, like usual," he says, pointing his thumb at me. Liz looks at me, and she does this exaggerated gasp, as if she didn't notice me before. Heh.

But she doesn't say anything to me. She just keeps that unnatural grin on her face and keeps talking to Grant.

"Just don't creep him out too badly," she says, winking at him. Grant chuckles as she walks away.