Chapter Twelve-Not Again

Ashton's POV

  It was scary how fast this year was going by. The kids were starting school soon and no one was prepared. Jess and Eden and Kelligh had taken the kids back to school shopping today so when I walked in the living room, I found Aspen trying on outfits to model for Jess.

"This color really compliments my skin tone!" Aspen was saying and Jess nodded. She was wearing a black tight skirt and a flowy purple tank top.

  "Hey dad!" Aspen said cheerfully. I just stared at her. "I'm going to wear this on the first day. I have my entire weeks outfits planned. Very organized, or 'mucho ordenada'? I'm taking spanish again and I am going to look 'muy bonita"!" Jess giggled.

  "Doesn't she look great sweetie?"

  "Yeah, ha ha no, there's no way you're wearing that outside of this house." I said shaking my head. Jess looked surprised and Aspen's face fell.

  "But wwwhhhyyy nnnooottt?? It's my job to be the trend-setter this year and this top just came out! The silk is made from a special cotton and the color is perfect for my skintone and my hair color!" She said twirling a strand of her light brown curls.

  "You look like a hooker and I'm not letting my daughter show up to school looking like that. People are going to think it's you who's pregnant, not May." At the mention of May being pregnant, Aspen's jaw tightened. I remember briefly when she and Sage went out for like two months before they broke up.

  "Dad! I am a trend-setter. Do you know what that means?!"

  "No and I'd rather you not tell me. Honey, care to butt in?" I said to Jess. She just shrugged.

  "I think she looks cute honey. Besides, remember when I went to one of your concerts. I had the same top in blue and my skirt was much shorter and you loved that. Remember after the concert, we--"

  "I-I remember it perfectly. Thankfully, my children don't." We both looked at Aspen who had a disgusted look on her face.

  "I did NOT need to know that! Anyway, I'm wearing what I want. Mom agrees with me, sadly." She says, looking down. "I'll try on the next outfit." She says picking up some clothes and walking in the direction of the bathroom before stopping to look at us. "By the way, thanks for scarring me for life. I'm never wearing this outfit again.." Me and Jess laugh as she locks the door behind her. Jess moves to the couch and I plop down beside her, wrapping my arm around her shoulders.

  "Honey, you remember starting high school. How you tried so hard to make a good impression on everybody." Jess says to me.

  "Yeah I remember, I was trying to get my music career started. Few years later, I have the perfect job, perfect family, perfect wife. Nothing can mess this up." Jess smiles up at me and shifts her body so she can kiss me. I stroke her cheek. She giggles.

  "I remember that night after the concert." I whisper to her. "I had taken you to the after-party but you got bored and snuck out, taking me with you. It was the second time you'd dragged me somwhere quiet and dark." She said she was feeling tired so I took her back to the hotel she was staying at. I walked her up to her room where we said goodbye. The first time. She asked me if I remembered the kiss I gave her a month ago. Then she asked me if I could "remind her what it felt like". So I did. I cupped her face with both hands and kissed her deeply. Her hands found my waist and just like that I was laying on top of her on the smooth comforter of her hotel bed. We undressed each other and fell asleep right afterwards. When we woke up, Jess had been attached to my side when room service came in. I hadn't contacted her at all in between the month that we met and the first time we did it. But she found me. At first, I thought she was a stalker and a huge 5 Seconds of Summer fan. But after I saw how she partied, I was in love with her.