Bonus chapter: Merry Christmas

Nethalia stood at the bassinet, looking at her brother. She huffed and stormed her way out of the nursery, looking to the open door of her parents bedroom. Tiptoeing to the door, she could see they were still asleep. Scurrying to the lounge, she stopped at the threshold and looked upon the giant tree. It was laden with pretty baubles and tinsel with the star sitting brightly at the top. Nethalia grinned, remembering the day they decorated the tree, her father had lifted her to his shoulders so she could put the star on the top. She had spent the day learning about the true meaning of Christmas. Her parents had told her it was a day that a child was born centuries before, he was the son of their maker which made no sense to Nethalia. All she cared about was the pretty tree and that one day soon it would be filled with presents underneath. As she stepped into the room she looked upon the tree, the sun was slowly rising lighting up the room. Only the smallest amount of light was shining through, she looked at the light flicking off the tinsel. Below the tree was what gained her interest. Last night it was bare, not a thing to be seen. Now it was brimming with brightly wrapped boxes. Again she tiptoed, moving to the tree to investigate what had been left for her. She knelt in front of the largest object, an odd shaped present. Nethalia ran her finger over the tag as she squinted in the limited morning light.

'N...' she frowned 'Neth...'

Her eyes widened with a grin as she looked over the large box with it's pretty bow, realising it was for her. Nethalia looked at all of the presents that had the same letters on them, trying to count how many there were for her. She huffed as she sat down on the wood floor, unable to count past twenty. The presents were tormenting to her, she wanted to open the wrapping and investigate what lay below. But her mothers warning last night was still whispering through her mind. Do not go downstairs until everyone is awake, do not open any of the presents. Nethalia knew she had already broken one rule, she didn't dare break both of them. Her eyes darted to the door as she thought about it. If she tried to wake her parents, she knew she would be in trouble. Nethalia stood to her feet and reluctantly trudged up the stairs back to her bedroom. She stopped at the doorway, looking to the nursery door. A grin curled into her sweet lips as she tiptoed into her brothers room.

Two little blue eyes stared over the soft edge of the bassinet, looking at her baby brother who was sleeping soundly. Nethalia jiggled the bassinet, nothing happened. She pursed her lips and narrowed her eyes at him. One little finger came out and poked his arm. Again, nothing happened. She poked him again, annoyed at how he could sleep so peacefully. Gently she put her hand on his waist and jostled him a little, he whimpered and as the sisterly love increased so did the cries. When Nethalia was satisfied that he was sufficiently awake, she turned into a cockroach and scurried out of the room and back into her bed. Nethalia grinned under her bed cover, listening to her father grumble his way into the nursery. Phabel looked down at the child, screeching loudly. It wasn't time for a feed, he knew that Olive had only fed him an hour ago. He checked the nappy and found it completely dry. With a sigh he picked up Mikilo and settled him to his chest, wondering why he was awake.

'Daddy, now that Miki is awake can we open presents please?'

Phabel pursed his lips with a wry smile. She was being too pleasant and well mannered, she sounded too alert for this hour of the morning and the child that was food orientated wasn't asking for breakfast. He shook his head, figuring out what his darling daughter had been up to.

'Nethalia, you're up too early, go back to bed.'

'But it's Christmas and Miki's awake, please daddy.' she pouted at him.

'Your mother isn't awake, now go back to bed before I punish you for intentionally waking Miki.'

Nethalia stomped her way back to her bedroom, not seeing her mother standing at her bedroom door. Phabel wandered out of the nursery and saw his lovely wife leaning on the door frame with a grin.