Talking to Yourself

"That needs to go back right now. I don't want hear any damn excuses!"

Michael pursed his lips and grabbed some cleaner from the cabinet by the door. He wasn't sure who had left it there, but he greatly appreciated it. It was a basic carpet cleaner and didn't mention anything about pet stains, but he dumped a good amount of it on the spot anyways, then began pressing paper towels, that had also been left, atop it.

"I got it from the animal shelter."

"So what? Take it back."

"But they already used his cage for another dog. They said they needed to make room and I didn't want them to make room for new dogs by getting rid of the ones who had been there a little longer."

"That's part of life. Owners buy dogs irresponsibly." Church enunciated the word carefully and glared at Michael. "Then when they can't keep them or they are sick of taking care of something that actually requires work, they dump it at the shelter. It sucks for the dog but that's what happens... and that dog needs to be out of here. Now." 

Michael's shoulders sagged in defeat as he got up and trudged over to Hanna, helping him get his shorts back up and the button fastened. Then he went over to the puppy, who was trying to chew on the edge of one of Church's guest chairs, and scooped him up into his arms.

"I'm not going to take him back there. I'll find him somewhere to go."

Before Church could argue Michael ran out the door, wincing when he heard Hanna scream for his puppy.

I'm sorry, kiddo. I tried, but I'm not going to fight him when he's my only paycheck. And if I just leave it there, he'll probably eat it when you're not looking just to be rid of the thing.

Taking the elevator down to the ground floor, Michael stopped over at the receptionist's desk and asked if she knew anyone who might be interested in the dog. Surprisingly, she gave him a few names and told him what floor and office they were working at. Michael thanked her and quickly ran back to the elevator, making his way to the first person.

Well, they shot him down as soon as he told them that it was going to get really big.

Okay, next one.

The second person took one look at the amount of fur on it and shook her head with a disgusted look while mumbling something about having to clean up after her husband enough, she didn't need a dog with so much fur to deal with.

Stingy.

Grumbling under his breath, Michael went to the last two people, who were thankfully working on the same floor... but again, they didn't want it. One wanted a chihuahua and the other, well, technically wanted it, but he didn't want to have to pay for its vetting when it was time for shots or if it got sick. 

Michael stomped back down to the first floor and slid into a sitting position against one of the walls. People were eyeing him because he definitely wasn't dressed in his fancy whatever suit and he had a fluffy puppy sitting in his lap, but whatever. Looking down at the fuzzball, he gave it a slight smile and poked its big black nose.

"You won't go back, I promise. I'll figure something out."

It yawned and curled up in his lap like a cat, making him chuckle a little.

"Yeah, go ahead and take a nap. I know peeing on a demon's carpet must have taken a lot out of you... pee-wise, at least."

"Come on, Hanna. Stop ignoring me. It's not going to get you the puppy back."