What Must Be Done

The drive home wasn't too bad, but as soon as Michael opened the door to get Hanna out he noticed that he had moved. The kid was curled up on the floor and definitely not in the seat where he should have been. 

"What are you doing down there?"

He wanted to yell at him because of how dangerous it was to get out of a seatbelt when a car was moving, but he knew that it wouldn't end well. 

Deep breaths. He's just a kid.

"Want to come inside and have some lunch?"

Hanna immediately shook his head and scrambled to the other side of the car, as far away from Michael as he could get. 

He's just like a scared cat. 

"Hanna, you can't stay in here. It's not safe."

The boy reached down and grabbed Michael's spare jacket, then pulled it up over his body like a shield.

"No."

"Hanna, come on. You'll see Church again tomorrow."

Hanna's eyes began to water and Michael could feel other people in the apartment complex beginning to stare through their blinds at him.

Whatever, gossip away you nosy people.

Biting his lower lip, he reached in as far as he could and snatched Hanna out of the car. The boy screamed, but Michael held on tightly, getting him into his arms and then running like crazy after kicking the door shut. Thankfully, he made it to his apartment before anyone could come investigate. 

Nothing to see here. Just a priest in training to kidnap little boys. Dear god, this looks bad. 

He almost wanted to just go find Church and return the kid, but he knew that it would look even worse if he just handed over a human child to a demon. So, once they were finally inside, he nudged the door shut and set Hanna down, watching as he scrambled to get as far away from him as he could, again. He went to hide beneath the tiny dinner table while Michael locked the door and headed for the kitchen, calling to him while digging through the fridge.

"What do you want for lunch?"

There was a quiet whimper in response before he heard a near-silent "Chesh." 

Of course.

Deciding to just ignore the reply, Michael grabbed a box of macaroni and cheese from the cupboard and got busy making that. He figured that it was his best shot. Almost every kid liked mac and cheese. The noodles were finished in a few minutes and he quickly added the cheese and milk before stirring it all together.

"Lunch, Hanna!"

When he didn't get any kind of response Michael looked around the corner to see that Hanna had moved from beneath the table. His eyes darted around the room, then looked towards the living room.

Where is he?

Setting down the hot bowl of food, he walked into the living room and checked behind the sofa, then headed into the hallway. He looked in the bathroom, too, but Hanna wasn't there.

My room then.

At first, he didn't see anything as he switched the light on and glanced around, but the boy had to be in there.

"Hanna?"

After checking the closet, he grinned and got on his knees, then leaned over to look beneath the bed. 

"There you are, kiddo." 

The little boy sniffled and backed farther away, clearly wanting nothing to do with him.