Chapter 5 ~ Jealousy

She smiled as soon as I walked into homeroom and took my seat. She passed me a little slip of paper, like the notes we passed the day before.

  “So are we boyfriend-girlfriend now?”

  I shakily wrote as my heart was racing, “I guess so.”

  “Have you had a girlfriend before?”

  “No.”

  “Oh, I’ve had boyfriends. I haven’t kissed anyone yet, though.”

  “Really?”

  “Yeah…do you want to be my first kiss?”

  Heat flushed through my cheeks and radiated through my bloodstream, “Yeah, I guess.”

  “Was that weird to ask?”

  “Kinda.”

  “Sorry. I just really like you, and you’re nicer than other guys.”

  “I don’t know what to say…uh.”

  “It’s ok, am I embarrassing you?”

  “No.”

  “I definitely am.”

  She seemed weird and a bit quirky, but I enjoyed our time passing notes, but by the end of class I realized I failed to finish the homework that I had put off last night, to my utter dismay. One missing assignment wouldn’t be the end of me, but it definitely wouldn’t make my grades happy at the beginning of the year.

  She pecked me on the cheek before running off to her next class and I packed up, feeling Yami’s eyes on me. I looked at him and he was grinning like a Cheshire cat. I felt like I was doomed already, my friends would never leave me alone about my first girlfriend being a cute foreigner, and about the way we got together.

  On the contrary, over the next week Cassie had begun talking to my friends more and not even Joey had teased me, they were all really happy for me. Even Anzu didn’t seem to mind her as much anymore, she even made plans with Cassie to go to the mall after school on Monday. Throughout the week, Cassie caught up to me between classes, usually breathing too heavily and already almost late by the time she had enough energy to kiss me on the cheek before running off to class again. We passed notes in home room and she came over every day after school.

  “This year is going to be great, I can feel it.” Cassie sighed, laying on her back on my bed while I sat on the floor with a controller in my hands. It was a sunny Saturday outside.

  “Me too.” I replied, mashing the buttons to make my character attack faster.

  “We’ve only been going out for about a week now, huh?” She asked, even though it was more of a statement than a question, “When are you going to buy me flowers?”

  I blushed, “I didn’t really think about it.”

  “Come on.” She sat in my lap, blocking the view to the TV screen and put her cold hands on the sides of my face, “I’m your girlfriend right?”

  “Yeah.” I gulped. I still felt nervous whenever she got so close.

  She sighed and plopped down on the floor, “Then pay attention to me!”

  “Ok.” I laughed a little and turned off the console, “What do you want to do?”

  “Let’s hang out with Yami.”

  “Why Yami?”

  “I dunno.” She said with a wink.

  I didn’t really know how to take it, but I called up Yami anyway. He was happy to come over. Cassie ran downstairs as soon as the bell over the front door rang.