Chapter 9: The Revelation

Grandma gave me honey milk tea to make me calm down. I have been crying too much that they all thought I was going to end up hyperventilating then fainting. But how can I not? My grandma is here in front of me. She’s alive! When all these years what I’ve known was that she already passed away. Why would my parents lie to me like that? How could they…?

            Haruka was patting my back and giving me a soft hug. I have to admit, her comforting me like that made me a lot better. The boys’ worried faces are not helping though.

            “The states?” I was finally able to fire up my first question when I calmed down a little.

            “Yes, that’s what your parents told me. They sent you to the states to study there,” grandma said calmly. That’s what I love about my grandma. She’s the calm in the middle of the storm. Her calmness always rubs off on me so at times like this; I won’t be lost in anger or frustration.

            “Grandma, I’m only in Tokyo. I’ve been homeschooled ever since I left this place but I’m just in Tokyo,” I answered with a few tears trickling down my eyes.

            “Is that so?” My grandma said confusingly, her voice starting to quiver but she’s doing her best not to show it.

            “Grandma, they told me you were dead. They told me you were gone. That—that—that…” I clenched my fist as I felt another wave of tears pushing out of my eyes.

            My grandma embraced me immediately, shushing me while stroking my long, wavy hair. She smelled like sakura and pumpkin pie, my favorite scent in the whole world. It’s my grannies’ scent after all.

            “Dear, there might be a good reason why your parents told those lies. I’m sure of it! It’s your choice if you want to find out or not and if you’re going to do something about it,” grandma told me gently as she continued to wrap me in her arms.

            “I do and I will. But not right now. I’m not ready to hear from them. I left them so that I’ll be able to find myself and so that they’ll be able to clear out what’s on their mind without having me to hear from them too. And besides, I’m still in this predicament,” I answered as I stared at everyone else who had been very quiet since the conversation started.

            “What predicament?” Grandma asked with worry in her eyes. But I just flashed a sweet smile upon my face and said, “It’s nothing big grandma. It’s just teen problems.” I lied. But it was for grandma’s own good. I don’t want to involve her in any danger now that I found out she’s okay.

           “Very well. You kids must be very tired. You can all go wash up and we’ll have lunch okay? I’ll prepare clothes for you. It seemed like you haven’t changed for quite awhile. Did you get lost or something?” My grandma asked as she giggled while staring at our dirty and even torn out clothing.

            “Thanks grandma,” everyone else answered and I just smiled at her gladly. This is definitely one of the most unforgettable experiences of my life. Running away, being chased by yakuza’s, finding out y grandma is alive after all, what’s next; an alien abduction maybe? I can’t help but laugh mentally at what I’ve thought of.

            I immediately took that opportunity to clean up so I came up to my old room. It was so nostalgic! It was exactly how I left it. My teddy bears were still sitting at the same spot behind my bed, my story book was neatly organized on the walls, my curtain and bed sheet was exactly the same as if no one moved anything in that room at all. I smiled happily as I finally decided to soak myself in a warm bath.

            Everybody stared at me as if shockingly as I descended down the stares. Why are they staring? Did they found out something more that I didn’t know of? I can’t help but ask myself as I stared confusingly at them but my confusion was immediately answered when Ryota laughed aloud saying, “Heh, you finally dressed like your gender. Congratulations!”

            Oh, so that’s why. They’re laughing because I’m dressed in my grandma’s old summer dresses and doll shoes.

            “Ha-ha, very funny,” I said rolling my eyes as I continued walking down the stairs.

            “My oh my I never thought that this day would come,” grandma said happily as she clasped her hand and stared back and forth at me and Ryota.

            “What do you mean grandma?” I asked confusingly.

            “That you and Ryo would become friends again of course. Honestly, after your parents’ business partnership dissolved, you two seemed like you can’t eve be put together in one room but yet here you are,” she said all giddy up.

            Then it hit me! Ryota is Ryo. He was my childhood friend until he ignored me and my parents took me to Tokyo. I basically almost lost all my memory of him because I tried my best to forget but now, I remember. I...

            I looked at Ryota who was staring blankly at me as if he suffered from some sort of shock. I slowly dragged my legs towards him but as soon as I got close, he leapt out from his sit and ran away instantaneously.

            Great! Just great! I thought to myself.