Chapter 5: The Clandestine

We found out so many things that first night when we came to the Imao Mansion. Firstly, those guys that were chasing us were a part of a yakuza clan. Namely, they’re part of the Shinobu Clan. Two, they run away after we entered this neighborhood because this part of a city is also a home turf of another clan, they’re not on war with them or anything like that but the clan that lives in this area is far stronger than them. They would have invaded they’re territory and declared war upon themselves if they took a step closer. Three, Matsuru’s grandfather was also once a yakuza, but not of the clan in this neighborhood but of the Shinobu Clan itself. Four, the guy in the train station the one that looks like a hoodlum in tux, was the clan leader and the blond girl is his fiancée who’s also like a famous actress, they’re relationship is a secret. Five, police had been after the clan leader for years cause he’s a suspect on a murder case of a young boy back in Tokyo but he had been in hiding, until now.

            My head was spinning with all these information. I can’t believe I involved myself with yakuza’s. People that were trained to kill are after us. But it’s too late to turn back now. We’re already in this mess. Anyways, as long as we’re in this area, we’re protected.

            I thought that those information were already enough to fill my head. Little did I know that I will learn more information, but not about the yakuza’s after us but about Matsuru.

            I was on my way to take about in their indoor Jacuzzi when I passed by Mitchiru’s room with the door wide open. It seems like it’s not only him inside ‘cause I can make out two voices. I leaned a little closer on the wall to find out what they’re talking about. Yeah, yeah, I know. It’s eavesdropping and it’s not good to do this but I’m curious okay.

            “I’m sorry, I really am. Misa is just too afraid that one day I’ll decide to just leave her and our children for you and your mom,” a voice said from inside the room. I’m guessing it’s his dad in there with him.

            “That’s a possibility. After all, you love mom better than her,” I heard Matsuru’s voice say that with a snicker.

            “No, it’s not possible at all. Even though I love you and your mom, Misa was the one your grandfather chose for me,” his dad answered.

            “You know what dad, its funny. We have this conversation every time I come here but I still don’t understand,” Matsuru said straightforwardly. I could almost imagine him with a smirk on his face like the one Ryota always has.

            “What don’t you understand my boy?” Matsuru’s father asked him confusingly.

            “How you can leave your one true love for money,” he answered arrogantly.

            I heard someone sigh then his father’s voice said again, “I’m still serious about you taking over as the Ichibana Master of this school you know. I want to retire soon. Don’t go to Kyoto anymore, stay here and polish your skills instead.”

            “You already have a successor,” he said conceitedly.

            I can’t believe this guy. I can’t believe that though he has that big of a problem in his hand, he still always have that silly smile on his face. He’s problems are bigger than mine and yet…how’s that possible?

            I was in the middle of digesting what I just found out when I heard voices coming from the living room. It sounds like shouting! What is this, a shout of panic…a distress call?

            I ran hastily towards the living room immediately. “What’s going on?” I asked confusingly as I saw all of them stand at the center of the room with silly grins on there faces.

            “DarkWater is a genius!” Shuichi exclaimed excitedly.

            “Look and look,” Haruka added pointing at the computer screen and the television set. At the computer screen, I can see the photographs I did with a voice over saying, “Gotcha!” over and over and a text running down the bottom which says, “Who’s the real victim here?” There was even a video there which looked like it was taken from a CCTV camera of us running for our lives on the train. Our hands were encircled in red and a text kept flashing on the screen saying, “Where’s the briefcase?”

            Then I focused myself on the TV. A reporter from NHK was reporting about the new scandal unearthed by the infamous DarkWater on his website.

           I feel the heavy burden lift upon me. Finally, our name is cleared. I had the sudden urge to burst out laughing and I did. It was such a happy feeling that even the others laughed along with me.

            “We did it!” I heard someone from behind me as I felt a hand on my shoulder. It seems like Matsuru just entered the room with his father and they already have a clue of what’s going on.

            “Don’t you guys be too happy about this,” Matsuru’s grandfather spoke up and with that, every single laughter died.

            “Why not grandpa? This is what we’ve wanted to do, we cleared our names already,” Matsuru said arguing.

            “Yes, but you also provoked those yakuza even more,” he answered with a serious look on his face. Those words suddenly put back the heavy burden on my back once more and it seems like I’m not the only one who felt this way as Haruka looked at me with a scared look on her face as well.

            “You see, based from what I’ve observed so far, the yakuza leader only wanted one thing to take from you and didn’t intend to hurt you at all. That’s why he only sent two people after you. I’m guessing it’s those photos right? They were probably avoiding having those photos publicized but now that what they feared is out in the open, I don’t know what will happen next. I’m expecting they’ll want you killed….one, for exposing to the authorities that their leader is in the country, I’m quite sure they’re after him again and two, for ruining the career of his fiancé,” his grandfather explained his theory.

            He was right, he was incredibly right. We had been running for our lives all this time, but now its serious business ‘cause they really might kill us if they got a hold of us.

            “Then we just need to call the police!” Haruka yelled in panic.

            “That’s not possible!” Ryota said with a blank expression on his face.

            “Why not?” Shuichi asked confusingly.

            “The police had been tracking that guys’ movements for years now remember? But they didn’t even get close to capturing him. In fact, they didn’t even know he was in the country until those photos showed up just now. That man had been silently hiding for years, what made you think they can capture him easily now cause photos of him came up on the internet? I’m guessing that he even have connections with the authorities, he probably has a spy everywhere. If he was as powerful as Matsuru’s grandpa explained to us then, it’s possible,” Ryota explained, his hand balled into a fist and he was shaking. Is he scared? That’s definitely the first time I saw him act that way.

            Matsuru’s grandpa had a grin on his face when he looked at Ryota saying, “Good observation boy. So I suggest you all be careful. You’re situation is….LIFE OR DEATH!”