Chapter 4: The Camouflage

Once again we were running for our lives, but this was different. We already had been running for miles, taking a lot of route, passing a lot of blocks but those guys were still high on our trail. It’s like they became more aggressive and more desperate to catch us. I’m not quite sure what they’re after us really but this I’m quite certain, they’re not gon’na leave us alone until they had what they want.

            “My-my-legs…can’t-run…no more,” Haruka was huffing and wheezing for air as we continued running.

            “Oh no, you’re not going to stop,” Shuichi said as he grabbed her hand and pulled her along as he ran. That grip was enough to fuel Haruka’s legs again though; she was running like a horse by the time we reached a quiet neighborhood. She really likes him that much. I thought to myself as I watched them run alongside me.

            I didn’t really knew what happened next but I found myself on the floor with an aching head and a sour bum while Matsuru crouched down next to me panicking as he said, “Fiory, are you okay?”

            “What did I hit, a brick wall?” I asked myself as I rubbed my head which was throbbing profusely in pain as I looked up to see what was in front of me but I never expected what I saw at all.

            “I swear I really didn’t mean to,” Ryota said with a sorry look on his face. Well that’s a first! I guess this guy can feel other things for me aside from hate.

            “Why’d you suddenly stop anyway?” I said furiously.

            “I just noticed they were gone and I stopped,” he said, his sorry face turned arrogant again. I probably shouldn’t have shouted at him, seems like he’s very sensitive.

            “There’s something really odd about those thugs. Why did they suddenly scamper away once we entered this neighborhood?”

            “It’s not odd. They’re from the Yusagi Clan. Of course they’ll run away from here,” a rough, masculine voice echoed out from out of nowhere and all of our heads turned as one to the direction it was coming from. An elegant looking old man was standing there dressed in a traditional yukata and geta.

            “Grandfather!” Matsuru exclaimed as he gazed at the man in front of us dumbstruck.

            “Welcome home,” the man greeted with a smile.

            We ended up coming to Matsuru’s place after all. Both he’s grandfather and dad welcomed all of us warmly but he’s stepmom and stepbrother and sister seemed to have a problem but not with us though, I feel like they only have a problem with Matsuru.

            Matsuru’s stepsister Yui seemed happy enough when she showed me the room I’m staying in. I didn’t expect all of these though. Matsuru really WAS rich. Well, he’s dad is at least. That’s what he kept saying. They’re house is like a grandiose temple, no more of like an old imperial palace with the beautiful garden, the traditional furnishings and expensive decorations. I felt like a stepped back in time as I walked into this house.

            But what can I expect from an Imao? Imao…I really didn’t notice it until now but I think Matsuru didn’t want us to find out about him, that’s why he left his surname blank during introductions. If his grandfather didn’t find us and if we didn’t come here then we might have all thought Matsuru was someone from a poor family instead of a descendant of the royal line. He wore a perfect camouflage of normalcy.

            When I was finally alone the room, I called the guy that I knew could get us out of that mess immediately…my friend Kyo which is DarkWaters666’s real name.

            Before I could even say anything, he began talking on the other line saying, “You’re in big trouble but I know you’re innocent.”

            “I knew you’d never believe the news,” I said with a sigh of relief.

            “Of course. I know you. That’s why as soon as I heard the news, I immediately went to the station to try and find testimonies. Unfortunately, most of the people who saw the crime were already paid by the skunk,” he said in agitation. I can’t help but sigh in defiance but Kyo never fails to put a smile on my face saying, “Hey, don’t be down just yet that was only the unfortunately part. Now the fortunately!” He said as I heard him chuckle over the receiver as he added, “Fortunately, some preferred justice over money. Let me just say I have 6 eye witnesses that knows the truth. Now all I need is hardcore evidence.”

            “Which I happen to have in my possession,” I said proudly as I held my camera up high though he won’t be able to see it. “I’ll send it to you now,” added as I grabbed the laptop that Michiru let me barrowed, connecting to the web immediately and sending Kyo all of the photos I took immediately.

            “See it now?” I asked after awhile. “Yes and these are perfect! Don’t worry; I’ll clear all of your names in just a jiff. I’ll call you as soon as I’m done,” he said sounding excited about his new project as he hangs off the phone.

            I sat on the bed praying with all my might that Kyo or should I say, DarkWater’s charm hasn’t expired from the public yet. After all, it had been awhile since he discovered whopping big news.

            I just took a deep breath as I was about to leave the room again but before I could even take a step towards the door, a knock sounded on the door followed by a voice saying, “Let me in!” I knew immediately from the pitch of the voice and the demanding tone that it was Ryota.

            “What do you want?” I asked almost irritated, but I was able to contain that though.

            “I brought you something,” he said more softly now, as if he was embarrassed about it or something. Curious, I decided to let him. “It’s open.”

            He slid the door open and immediately came inside with a tray of different cakes and tea. He sat it down on the kokatsu immediately and was about to leave without another word but I’m not going to let him slid off that easily.

            “What’s this for?” I asked confusingly and he immediately froze dead on his tracks as he turned around and said, “A sorry gift. You got hurt ‘cause of my sudden decision to stop earlier.”

            I can’t help but stare at his face. He blushed! I guess this guy is normal after all.

            “Uhm, thanks,” I said shyly. That was the first time I’ve seen him like that and for some reason, seeing him react that was made me a little bit shy too.

            “Yeah, whatever. I’m going,” he said as he was about to scurry away but before he could even go any further, I stopped him again saying, “Wouldn’t it be much better if you join me?” I teased but then I heard him sigh as he turned around once more and positioned himself on the kokatsu opposite of me.

            This is a start. I said to myself.