Chapter 6: The Hope

I crashed on my bed immediately after dinner that night. I felt so lightheaded. I’m not the type of girl who easily gets scared but I developed this sudden fear that I won’t be able to see my home again.

            It’s only my first time breaking my parents’ rules, running away from home and independently taking on this journey but is this also the last time I’ll be able to do it. Hopefully not!

            I didn’t know when sleep got to me but the next thing I knew I was once again dreaming of my home town.

Little me was relaxing underneath my grandma’s cherries blossom tree as I watch her whip up something in the kitchen. She doesn’t want to tell me what it is but I can always tell it’s my favorite pumpkin pie. She loves to make it for me.

            “Fiory-chan!” My granny called out when she was done with her cooking and I excitedly went to the kitchen immediately, being careful not to trip while running with my little legs.

            The pie was already set-up on a table when little me got there and I gave grandma a big warm hug and a peck on the cheek saying, “Thanks Granny. I love you so much!”

            That was always the only reward she wanted from me, my hugs, my kisses and my I love you’s. She loved me so much…I miss her.

           I woke up startled as I felt a pressure on my neck. What I saw next, though I know I’m already awake, was a nightmare.

            A person in a ninja outfit is standing on top of me with a samurai pointed on my neck. One little move, a little more pressure and I’m dead.

            He lifted his sword little by little and was making the move to cut me in half but before he could precede, my bedroom door opened and someone crashed on top of him.

            “Fiory, we’re not safe here anymore. We got’ta go!” Matsuru said in a panic as he started pulling me away. We ran through the hallway and jumped out of a huge open window. Shuichi and Haruka was already there waiting for us.

            I heard footsteps running in the hallway then and I was preparing myself whatever ninja was there to kill me but instead I saw Ryota jumping on the window and joining us.

            “Go, go, go!” He exclaimed in haste and he didn’t have to tell us twice. Looks like he brought unwanted company with him.

            It’s de ja vu all over again but before we knew it, we were running for our lives once more as a bunch of crazy ninjas are after us.

            “This is insane!” I can’t help but point out as we were running.

            “You said it,” Ryota answered with a chuckle. I didn’t know why but it seemed to me like he’s enjoying this.

            “Seriously what just happened back there,” I dared ask though it already seemed obvious.

            “Well let’s just say those yakuza ordered five teenage sashimi,” Shuichi said jokingly.

            Suddenly as we kept running through the city, we ran into a crowd of people parading on the streets. Looks like some sort of festival.

            “What’s going on?” Haruka asked as we started pushing our way into the crowd to get to the other street.

            “It’s the Okayama Momotaro Festival today. Better hurry up if we want to loose them in this crowd,” Matsuru exclaimed.

            We forced our way into the crowd. It took us several minutes but we were still able to get on the other side of the street.

            “There!” Ryota screamed as a bus passed on the next street. We hastily run through the alley and we were able to catch the bus just in time.

            Panting heavily, we all dropped on the seat of the bus. By this time I was thinking how many more miles we’ll run for us to be safe.

            “Hey, we’re not travelling anymore. We’re already getting ready to park it for the night so we can join the festival,” the bus driver protested as he noticed us get on his bus.

            “Please sir, we’re in danger. We need to get out of here quick!” Haruka said pleading.

            “Danger? I don’t want trouble kids. Get off the bus at once!” The bus driver yelled fearing for his life. Just then Ryota grabbed something from inside Matsuru’s pocket and shoved it into the driver’s hand saying, “We’ll give you ¥25,000 if you take us to Izumoshi.” He demanded.

            The driver looked at the money, he’s eyes sparkling. He’s probably thinking why we’re able to give up that much money just for a drive but he still took the money anyways. “Hop on then!” He said as he started driving the vehicle.

            “Are you alright?” Matsuru asked me worriedly as our bus started to move.

            “Ah yeah, don’t worry,” I nodded. “You can let go of my hand now,” I added, feeling awkward about the situation.

            I stared at Ryota as he stared back at me as if menacingly. Is it just me or he’s doing it again? That stare is too much.

            I was already starting to relax when loud booms started to sound.

            “Fireworks!” Haruka exclaimed happily as she stood from her seat and run to the opposite side of the bus where the view is better. Matsuru offered his hand to me with a smile on his face and I grabbed it happily once more as he pulled me along to where Haruka and Shuichi were.

            It was magnificent! Though our life is in danger, though we’re not in the mood to celebrate anything, those fireworks somehow gave us a little bit of hope and a little bit of happiness on this perilous journey of ours. It was a great feeling.

            I stared at each and everyone who seemed like they were enjoying the scenery as much as I am too except for Ryota who once again never failed to crash my mood as he continued staring at me as if annoyed or agitated. I don’t know what’s got into him but whatever it is, he needs to get over it soon cause it makes me feel more horrible than I already feel.

            But still...we were able to enjoy those magnificent displays of light and color as we left the city on the way to Izumoshi.