Chapter 3

"Episkey." Luna poised her wand over Harry's nose and gave it a tap. It vibrated wildly and then snapped into place. Liv scrunched up her nose and closed her eyes.

"Well? How do I look?" Olivia opened her eyes once she got that horrid sound out of her head.

"Exceptionally ordinary." Luna told him and he looked over to Olivia.

"You nose looks better then before." He slapped Olivia's shoulder lightly and she stuck her tongue at him.

"Brilliant."

---

Hermione craned her neck looking for Harry. Ron sat next to her and stuffed his face with pudding. "Don' you worry. He'll be 'long soon 'nuff --" Ron mumbled through a mouth full of food.

"Will. You. Stop. Eating! Your best friend is missing!" Hermione whacked him with every words. Ron glared at her.

"Oi! Turn around, you lunatic." Hermione spun and saw Harry and Luna approaching. Olivia walked to her table and sat down. Her friends looked at her with raised eyebrows before that all bursted out laugh.

In the light of the hall, Harry's blood-spattered face was quite the sight. "He's covered in blood again. Why is it he's always covered in blood?" Ginny asked from next to Ron.

"Looks like his own this time." Ron said as he shoveled more food into his mouth.

"Where've you been, Harry? And what happened to your face?" Hermione asked as he walked over to the table and sat down.

"Later. What've I missed?" He asked is two best friends as he kept an eye on Olivia.

Ron shrugged as he ate. "Sorting Hat urged us all to be brave and strong in these troubled times, easy for it to say, it's a hat, isn't it? First Years seemed to enjoy it, though. Wankers. Filch give you the wand outside?" Harry nodded. Ginny, damped napkin in hand, began to dab his face.

Suddenly feeling awkward Harry took it from her. "Thanks."

The light in the Hall began to gently dim and all eyes turned to Dumbledore. He was standing at the top of the Hall, ashen hand raised to the enchanted ceiling. Clouds responded to his gestures and shroud a gleaming full moon.

"What's happened to his hand?" Hermione asked Harry and Harry shrugged.

"The very best of evenings to you! First off, please join me in welcoming the newest member of our staff, Horace Slughorn." Olivia raised an eyebrow at them and looked back at Draco.

A mild applause ensued. Harry clapped perfunctorily as his eyes drifted to the entrance of the Hall as a pair of Auror's station themselves just outside. 

Olivia rolled her eyes as Draco got up and walked over to her table. She moved over and let Draco sit next to her, before leaning her head on his shoulder. 

"Professor Slughorn, I'm happy to say, has agreed to resume his old post of Potions master. Meanwhile the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts will be assumed by Professor Snape."

This was greeted by stunned silence. Olivia looked at her father with a stupid looking smile. He rolled his eyes and tried not to smile.

Dumbledore frowned and attempted to generate something by clapping his hands once.

A few Slytherins joined in and some First Years. "Now, as you know, each and every one of you was searched upon your arrival tonight. You have a right to know why." He looked around the room. "Once there was a young man who, like you, sat in this very Hall. Walked this castle's corridors. Slept beneath its roof. He seemed, to all the world, a student like any other. His name? Tom Riddle." The Hall went utterly silent.